Sign in to follow this  

suzuki ts 185k 1973 hopup kit

I am an old Suzuki rider from about 40 years ago. T500,ts185, t20, tm400, 750 waterbuffalo, ts125 and many others like NSU and bultaco isdt.

:thumbsup:

Now that I am 70 started to go back and picked up a ts185K in great shape.

I am trying to put a few things on similar to what I had back then. Like a compression release which I have found but can't find any hop up stuff like I had back then. I do remember having a webco head and chamber but can’t find anything like that now of course.

Did find a carb on eabay they claim to be a hop up carb. is this usable on a ts185 to improve the power?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-TS185-TS125-29mm-Mikuni-OEM-Factory-Hop-Up-Carb-Carburator-Duster-Sierra-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item45fde60b18&item=300612455192&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I think that it is the real deal. Back in 1974/5 I took my 1972 TS-125J to a dealer in Hanford California for a hop up. Which included the TM125 pipe and a new carb. Later I had to get a silencer installed on the pipe, as the police ticketed me for noise. The little feller ripped! I used to ride it from NAS Lemoore to San Jose, just to see a gal....

Now much like you I am back into the old TS series 1972 being my favorites. I have 2 TS250J's a TS250R and a TS125J. I also have a frame up resto going on a 1972 TS400J

It looks like the TS185K uses a flange-mount 24mm Mikuni, so to use the eBay carb you'd need a manifold like these:

http://www.sudco.com/CatalogJPG/130.jpg

You'll almost certainly have to match the cylinder intake opening to the new manifold. I replaced the 28mm carb on my MR with a 30mm without doing this, and it worked worse than the 28mm until the hole was enlarged.

You might be surprised at the results of gutting the stock pipe and using a conventional silencer on the end. I just finished converting a Honda MT125 muffler into an expansion chamber for the MR175, it made a huge difference in midrange and added a bit of top end as well. You could also increase compression, try advancing the timing, etc.

I had to get a silencer installed on the pipe, as the police ticketed me for noise.

I hear ya! I ordered the Suzuki hop-up pipe for my '72 TS125 way back when, and got this thing with a super-long stinger and no silencer; it worked well, but was ridiculously loud.

Ray

I had a 1973 TS 185 and for the day it was a great bike. I loved the reliability and never modified the engine or exhaust (don't know why) but since the suspension was pretty lame I did install aftermarket Works shocks and forks from an early TM 125 that didn't fit properly. Rode that bike all over the Des Moines area, out to the lake with my girlfriend, to work, trail riding. Lots of great memories!

Hello Ray - I see that you are helping out again with your great expertise! I still have my 1976 MR175 but haven't progressed much since the last time we communicated.

I do wonder what happened to all of the expansion chambers and heads for these bikes. Best of luck!

Hi Greg,

Hey, if you actually owned a TS185, you surely know more about them than I ever will. :thumbsup: I should have sold my 90 and 125 and used the money for a 185, but at that point the CR came along and I became a (mostly) Honda guy.

I've been meaning to update my 175 thread as it's been over a year and a lot has happened, but I keep waiting until I have it "finished". Since that will never happen, I should just go ahead and do it. At least the porting and pipe are done deals, some folks may find that info helpful.

I wonder what happened to a lot of the vintage hop-up parts too. It's amazing to look through the old issues of Dirt Bike, MX Action, etc., and see all the ads for small companies making their own heads/pipes/airboxes/manifolds etc., in addition to the OEM stuff.

Ray

Never did get the bigger carb on ebay. someone else had more money than me.

The previous owner had two bowl gaskets but I have replace with OEM.

Only get about 50 miles to tank of fuel.

Does anyone know the float tang height spec

I think the 185 received much less hop up attention due to it's displacement. It would invariably have to be raced against bikes of larger displacement. I don't recall any Suzuki hop up kit for the 185 (that it doesn't mean it didn't exist) like the popular 125 kit, which I think had a front wheel, pipe and carb.

There was a hop up kit for the 71-73 TS185 on eBay that I saw yesterday listed on Paul Millers site. It included a cylinder and piston kit. If I understand correctly, the hop up kit for the 185 actually converted the 185 to 175cc to qualify for a displacement class event. Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-TS185-nos-race-cylinder-and-piston-set-1971-73-/170716072688?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27bf788af0

I raced the 185 in the 250 class for about a year back in 1971. Ran the snot out of it and often place very high in the class. Found the weight was good and more agile than a 250.

Right now I am really wondering about the float level on my bike. I saw on a t20 thread that the same carb - vm24sh was set for almost an inch. Thing is I don't remember having individual float back then and the spec sheet on the 73 say it is a vm26 so I am really confused.

I did move the clip to the second grove from the top and that change things a little bit. I remember that the idle adjust mixture screw would stall the engine if it was turn all the way in. This engine does not stall out with the screw in.

think there might be some other problem. Did of course take the carb all the way down and clean.

An yes the mileage was only about 50 miles to hit the reserve.

if no one here has an answer is there a better forum to ask the tech questions.

jerry

i had a race kitted ts125 in about 1973 and it ripped

long stinger and very loud

also had a little crankcase oil infeed bottle that hardly ever needed to be filled up, i used to premix @ 16.1, very reliable but very peaky

Back in the day the 175 class...

... before the 200 class hit the 175 class was the cat and quite large and Suzuki offered 175 kit OEM. It had a cylinder/head/piston/rings/clips/gaskets. The cylinder had radical porting compared to the street legal version of the TS 185. Can't remember if it had a pipe I think it did but it was a downpipe!

Bassani, Hooker headers and others made expansion chambers for the TS 185!

I run 2 Suzuki TS 185s in our vintage races one for MX and the other for woods races. Our class is 126 to 200cc so no high revving 125s are allowed, but the 200 have more torque, but what the hay it's just for fun, and great to have a venue to run my old machines!

:busted:

Oldestbones, did my wife and I meet you last weekend at the Stump Jumper Enduro? My wife had the 74 185. We were talking to a guy with a nice blue 185 and he said he had a TM400 and a Water Buffalo.

• Like 1

I think the 185 received much less hop up attention due to it's displacement. It would invariably have to be raced against bikes of larger displacement. I don't recall any Suzuki hop up kit for the 185 (that it doesn't mean it didn't exist) like the popular 125 kit, which I think had a front wheel, pipe and carb.

Suzuki did have a Hop-Up kit for the TS185. It made it a legal 175cc . I had a friend that raced one in H/S back in 1974.

To zz3gmc

You caught me. Yes, I was at the stump jumper to capture some of my old racing days and excitement of 40 years ago. Back in the late 60's and early 70's I race in Wide variety of events throughout the NY,northern PA and NJ areas.

I ran a variety of bikes back then ossa 175,125Suz,250 matador ISDT,persang,ts250 suz,185 suz, t500 suz,Yankee500, tm400 and 750 buffalo.

My earliest machine was a sear puch twin cylinder (one intake the other compression and exhaust) and an NSU 250 blueprinted scrambler three speed with a swinging center and trailing knee action front suspension. Both the older ones were air frame construction.

All great machines. The 1971 185 which I raced in the 250 enduros did have several aftermarket items, Hooker up pipe, webco head, compression release, head light shields, front fork brace and porting suggestions which made the little machine a winner.

Being at an event like the stump jumper 40 years after not being around racing equipment was a real shock to me. so many special features and tech improvements make it look more like a science than an art form of riding.

The blue 1973 ts185 you saw us riding was recently purchased from a fellow in Newburg NY. After ripping into the carb I found the wrong jetting and still working on the floats. I have put about 400 miles on it already. The next time you see it, there may well be some mods making it worthy of an entry under the Golden Master Vintage banner.

Jerry Donofrio la DAGOBAGO

Oldestbones, did my wife and I meet you last weekend at the Stump Jumper Enduro? My wife had the 74 185. We were talking to a guy with a nice blue 185 and he said he had a TM400 and a Water Buffalo.

To zz3gmc

You caught me. Yes, I was at the stump jumper to capture some of my old racing days and excitement of 40 years ago. Back in the late 60's and early 70's I race in Wide variety of events throughout the NY,northern PA and NJ areas.

The 1971 185 which I raced in the 250 enduros did have several aftermarket items, Hooker up pipe, webco head, compression release, head light shields, front fork brace and porting suggestions which made the little machine a winner.

Being at an event like the stump jumper 40 years after not being around racing equipment was a real shock to me. so many special features and tech improvements make it look more like a science than an art form of riding.

The blue 1973 ts185 you saw us riding was recently purchased from a fellow in Newburg NY. After ripping into the carb I found the wrong jetting and still working on the floats. I have put about 400 miles on it already. The next time you see it, there may well be some mods making it worthy of an entry under the Golden Master Vintage banner.

Jerry BVC

I had a 72 TS 125 with a hop up kit, it ran like hell. I think it actually produced more horsepower than a stock TM, to compensate for the extra weight of the bike.

Also had a 73 TS185, loved that bike too! I didn't like the small front wheel, and the stock pegs had to go for something with real grip. But the motor was great. Fun trail bike. I don't recall too much aftermarket offered for the 185.

Replaced the 185 with an MR250 in 76, still have it!

I have 2 of the Suzuki Hop Up kit expansion chambers/down pipes and one complete kit including everything but the 30 mm Mikuni carb. In 2005 bought a used 1973 TS185 to convert it into the dream bike I wanted when I would race my '73 TS185 back in 1974. But each weekend I had to remove the electrics and doing the other reqd mods to make her work in a Hare Hound of 40 miles. I'm 55 now and can't wait to tear the bike down and build her back up into a 1970's era bike many of us rode. We had the various enduros that we rode to high school then raced the same bike on the weekend hoping it didn't break! Now I'm retired and have the time to do what I wanted to do back in 1973-75. I will turn the bike into a classic vintage era hopped up TS185 which I'll call a TM175 for lack of a better name. This will be a very rare bike since after 6 years of watching the Internet I have only seen one other TS185 with the Hop Up Kit installed and that bike was converted into a TT style racer. I got lucky and found a NEW Suzuki Factory Hop Up kit with all instructions and parts (less the pipe and carb which was no problem). The cylinder does say 173cc on the casting and I can tell it is factory ported as well. It uses the same piston and rings (by factory P/N) as a stock TS185 so I guess they drop the 10ccs by the cylinder head's squish volume because the bore and stroke are also stock TS185. Here's what I did as a teen to my 1973 TS185. I put on a 21 inch front wheel, installed a 53 or 54 rear sprocket, installed the awesome hop up kit's down pipe that a friend's dad wouldn't let him keep due to the "noise" it made, upsetting their neighbours, I got lucky on that deal. All of a sudden, wham I had myself a real racer even with the stock Mikuni. I was amazed at the sound because it had that great brrruup, brrruup "music" of the TMs and with that KICK in the powerband. I had to have gained 4-5 hp with that pipe and the powerband was awesome due to the rear sprocket change as well. I would get her up in second gear even third gear and wheelie no problem. I currently own a refurbed 1972 TS185, 1974 TM125, 1973 TS185 (for the base as my vintage Hop Up Kit racer), a 1997 RM125 which is my favorite, 1975 Elsinore 250, 1975 Bultaco Frontera and a few others. They can be seen at bikepics.com using my member name rocketram to locate my page with pics of my bikes.