Sign in to follow this  

Would a moderator please move this thread to General Discussion?

What do you clean/protect your bike with to make dirt come off easier??

I thought about using a product that came with my Jeep to make dirt come off easier. It's a silicon product I think but can't remember what it was. It would be very nice to be able to hose the bike down and watch the dirt come off without much hassle. I don't mind cleaning my bikes but I maintain 6 of them so cleaning could be a real chore. I like cleaning them because I could find parts that are ready to be changed or are worn etc etc. I thought I read someone using wd-40 on their plastics but I also heard that could ruin them. I don't really want ideas of what could work because I could think of a million things that could work my self. Instead I am looking for what has worked for you. Something that dirt just simply does not like to stick to.

Edited by Mark6299

I wash with simple green and then i use maxima sc-1,just dont get it on the seat cover or the brakes.it really makes em shine.and dirt doesnt stick to it very good,because it has silicon in it.and it smells awesome!!!peace and wheelies

armor all makes a product that works really well. The original

armor all works and they also make armor all cleaner. You can purchase

Armor all cleaning pads at your local self serve bike/carwash pressure washer:thumbsup:

I use a product called tri foam cleaner wax offered at my local bike/carwash pressure wash facility! Cleans and proctects then follow with a low pressure rinse.

Well it looks like I put this thread in the wrong topic on accident and don know how to move it or remove it. Perhaps one of the moderators coulod help move it to the GENERAL DISCUSSION section.

I fornd the answer to my question and it really surprized me. I would love to [post the results of my experiment but like I said it's in the wrong place and nobody will readdy take advantage of it when I do post the results.

I used five products. I rank them in order of best to worst. I hesitate to post this a little but I will anyway. I hesitate because I read on the label of the top performer to not use on plastic unless approved by the manufacturer. I will look into this and repost if necessary.

1. Rain-X

2. Food grade silicon spray. (I guess regular would work but that's not what I used.

3. Armor all.

4. Eagle 1 spray car wax.

5. I forgot the name but it was a wax type cleaner with Teflon.

Actually the waxes worked the worse, almost like not having anything on at all.

Here is how I did the test. I thoroughly cleaned a spare junk Yamaha blue fender top and bottom only in the areas to be treated. I labeled the area with a permanent marker then treated it top and bottom. I let the treatment dry and polished the waxed area. I made up a slurry of muddy cold with water. I was mostly dirt and clay with some water. This represents the mud you will see at a track. I covered the fender with the mud slurry. I picked it up to move it into the sun and almost all of the mud came right off of the Rain-X area. The rest just kind of looked dirty. I put it in the sun to dry out and reapplied mud to the Rain-X area. I let it dry completely out like it would be if you trailered your bike to a carwash. I hosed it off with only cold water from a garden hose. I did not pressure wash it and I did NOT touch it at all with a rag or anything at all. In other words I simply rinsed it off. Then I let it dry off again since we all know that wet looks good and dry shows the dirt after cleaning. That is why you always see those bikes for sale on EBay or Craigslist, wet. The Rain-X part was spotless and very clean looking. All the rest were a little hazy looking with some dirt especially the waxed areas. I will post some photos I took later on or tomorrow to show the difference in the treated areas. If I had nothing else, I would use the silicone. Beyond that, I would just clean with soap (Shout) and a sponge like I usually do. Now to be far, I will wipe all the other areas tomorrow to see if they clean up easier than non-treated fenders. But what I was looking for is a product that requires no cleaning beyond a simple rinse. I think I found it and am happy I did. I am not lazy. That's not why I did this. There are always areas that are really hard to reach or times when you just can't give the time needed for a good cleaning. I think this will help in my case.

I am ending this thread and will not visit it anymore since I put it in the wrong topic area. I will start a new one called "Here is what I did to only have to rinse my bike instead of thoroughly washing it". It will be in the GENERAL DISCUSSION area, instead of suspension. I don't know how I pulled that one off but I did. OOPS

I would stay away from purple power! It is an alkaline (acid) based cleaner and will etch or burn your bike.

I am ending this thread and will not visit it anymore since I put it in the wrong topic area. I will start a new one called "Here is what I did to only have to rinse my bike instead of thoroughly washing it". It will be in the GENERAL DISCUSSION area, instead of suspension. I don't know how I pulled that one off but I did. OOPS

Over to the general section we go then. Good find by the way. :thumbsup: