Sign in to follow this  

Proper way to warm up a 2stroke

I am coming off a 250 4-poke and to warm those up you turn the choke on for 30 seconds and they run great. I went riding today and was told I warmed up my 144 wrong. I just let it run on the choke for a few seconds and then clean it out. What am I doing wrong I don't want to screw up my new bike.

Your best off to let it warm up at least 30 seconds just like your 4t. You want the metal to warm up and expand before you flog that throttle...

From a guy who thinks there are too many people who know too much...

Asuming your jetting is in the ball park there are two extremes you want to avoid when warming your 2t up. 1. Just letting it idle and load up, so that the plug fouls 2. Over reving a cold engine. Anything in-between and you are golden, and can tell the "experts" to go find inanimate objects to talk to.

My personal method is not set in stone but it goes like this... Start up with little blips of the throttle followed by a little idle time as the helmet and gloves go on. I then ride slowly away with very little load and usually a lot of clutch (nothing heats your bike up like barely moving with lots of clutch slippage) you will very quickly get the feel for when the bike is ready to easily rev and romp your sorry butt around. Depending on ambient temps this procedure can take from 5-10 mins. Good luck and enjoy just don't wring the crap out of it cold!

• Like 2

From a guy who thinks there are too many people who know too much...

Asuming your jetting is in the ball park there are two extremes you want to avoid when warming your 2t up. 1. Just letting it idle and load up, so that the plug fouls 2. Over reving a cold engine. Anything in-between and you are golden, and can tell the "experts" to go find inanimate objects to talk to.

My personal method is not set in stone but it goes like this... Start up with little blips of the throttle followed by a little idle time as the helmet and gloves go on. I then ride slowly away with very little load and usually a lot of clutch (nothing heats your bike up like barely moving with lots of clutch slippage) you will very quickly get the feel for when the bike is ready to easily rev and romp your sorry butt around. Depending on ambient temps this procedure can take from 5-10 mins. Good luck and enjoy just don't wring the crap out of it cold!

Great post. My procedure is similar. Kick over the 300. It will start with no choke about half the time but when it start i turn the choke on and off a few times so it will prevent it from stalling when i blip the throttle. Then as you said i blip the throttle a bit ( about 1/4 or 1/3 turn) and then let it idle. On take off i just go really easy.

Pretty much the same.

Start with choke, 1 kick mostly, sometimes 2.

Let it idle for 20 seconds or so, choke in.

A few small 1/4 throttle (Approx) blips, then put my helmet and gloves on, few more blips.

Then it's jump on and slowly ride away avoiding heavy loads for the first part of the trail, bike feels a bit sluggish and tight at first but once it's got some heat into then the motor loosens up and you can get to it.

Saw a really funny one on Vancouver Island last week: Two guys it total hooligan gear pull up in a truck, kid #1 jumps off, kicks over a KDX, tosses a helmet on - no strap - and in jeans and sneakers proceeds to rip WOT up and down a gravel road while kid #2 gets what gear he has on...

Then guy #2 tries for 10mins to kick over an older Ktm 250 with little succes, but with his denim clad buddy waiting he really puts some effort into it. Low and behold it light's off and faster than I can type he jams her into first and is gone WOT racing his buddy down the road! My friend and I watching in amazement!

Takes all types!

MD

i start mine up. let it idle for a min then putt around for a few min till its warm. then just ride however.

I also warm mine the way most of you guys do. I kinda let the bike tell me when to shut the choke off usually 15-25 seconds I'd guess. As soon as it will take a quick 1/4 throttle blip without hesitation. Let it idle with a light blip every 10 seconds or so while I get my helmet,gloves on,then an easy ride with clutch in blips through whatever staging area I'm in. I find that by the time I'm done screwing with goggles,gloves,locking,unlocking truck for riding buddies etc. she's ready to see a decent load by the time I get started down the trail.

You mean no one kicks it over, starts the bike and then holds it wide open till your ready to go? Have I been doing this wrong? Ive seen other guys do this, so I thought it was right!

I am always amazed at how many start it and then let it sit and idle ( like a 4 stroke) for minutes at a time.....eventually it will foul the plug. i guess they will learn then.

Joe

I don't mind letting mine idle for a bit to warm up. Haven't fouled a plug yet in any of my bikes due to that. I guess it's all in the jetting...

You mean no one kicks it over, starts the bike and then holds it wide open till your ready to go? Have I been doing this wrong? Ive seen other guys do this, so I thought it was right!

Well the kids described in post #5 seem to use a variation of that technique. :thumbsup:

I don't mind letting mine idle for a bit to warm up. Haven't fouled a plug yet in any of my bikes due to that. I guess it's all in the jetting...

I have a buddy with a 98 300 exc and he starts his and lets it idle while he putzes around,and has never had it load up and foul a plug either. I doubt mine would either,but I just can't make myself let it sit there idling on the kickstand without blipping it. Entirely a mental thing I'm sure.

You know, I've tried to figure that out, but I know something weird is going on in a 2t at certain temps. Usually around 5 degrees c. For a given altitude and jetting for warmer weather you know you are going to be on the lean side, but when you start it up it really acts rich just off idle, and it needs alittle attention during the first minute or so, a dance of choke and blips of the throttle, even when you get the choke off for good there is a little hesitation (if you let it idle to long without a little blip) that makes you think the plug has had enough, I'm very careful at those temps warming bikes up cause I've seen to many riding minutes go down the tube for plug changes even on bikes that are jetted for 15+ degrees C higher. I have never found a good explanation for this, and havent figured it out, but it's fairly consistent regardless of model/make. My conclusion is though that jetting is irrelevant at these temps and something else is going on that plugs don't like. OR the "real jetting" is lean, but something is happening during the initial warm up that is making the "effective jetting" in those conditions rich. Not sure any of that makes sense....:thumbsup:

Let it idle no choke while putting my helmet and gloves on

Only go full throttle once the radiators feel warm

You know, I've tried to figure that out, but I know something weird is going on in a 2t at certain temps. Usually around 5 degrees c. For a given altitude and jetting for warmer weather you know you are going to be on the lean side, but when you start it up it really acts rich just off idle, and it needs alittle attention during the first minute or so, a dance of choke and blips of the throttle, even when you get the choke off for good there is a little hesitation (if you let it idle to long without a little blip) that makes you think the plug has had enough, I'm very careful at those temps warming bikes up cause I've seen to many riding minutes go down the tube for plug changes even on bikes that are jetted for 15+ degrees C higher. I have never found a good explanation for this, and havent figured it out, but it's fairly consistent regardless of model/make. My conclusion is though that jetting is irrelevant at these temps and something else is going on that plugs don't like. OR the "real jetting" is lean, but something is happening during the initial warm up that is making the "effective jetting" in those conditions rich. Not sure any of that makes sense....:thumbsup:

Not sure since I am a low lander. hehe I will say that I have to work the choke and do blip the throttle for mine to settle into a good idle.

I have always done that. Usually mine will die if I let it idle for a few minutes with the choke on. Then I know its ready to go. LOL Done it that way for 70hrs now.

Not sure since I am a low lander. hehe I will say that I have to work the choke and do blip the throttle for mine to settle into a good idle.

Gmoss, I think it's temp related not alt related, you must get at least one cool day in your little neck of paradise a year????

Gmoss, I think it's temp related not alt related, you must get at least one cool day in your little redneck paradise a year????

Fixed! :thumbsup::lol:

I am always amazed at how many start it and then let it sit and idle ( like a 4 stroke) for minutes at a time.....eventually it will foul the plug. i guess they will learn then.

Joe

My experience tells me differently. Properly jetted a 2t will not foul plugs and will idle for longer than I have ever cared to find out without fouling plugs.

I like to let my bike get up to full operating temp before I hammer the throttle so I am more careful than most I suppose. I always feel the radiator and check it to get a feel, first the right radiator gets warm and then after the thermostat opens the left will start to get warm.

I sometimes just ride easily for a while to get it warm but then sometimes I will let the bike sit and idle while I change into my gear. I can start the bike and let it idle the entire time with only occasional blips of the throttle and I have yet to foul a plug in 12 years of riding two strokes, not fouled a single plug and I don't change them often either, usually just when I do a top end.

:thumbsup: