Sign in to follow this  

Anyone recommend a good repair manual?

Like it says, I'm looking for a recommendation for a good repair manual. The books that came with it seem pretty basic, I guess I'd like something along the lines of a haynes or chiltons guide.

Also, to add a stupid question, I was trying to get the seat back on and I think that the hardware I have isn't correct or missing a part. I had to leave the gas tank bolt about a quarter inch up to engage the seat tab....just didn't seem right!

I personally like the KTM factory cd-rom manuals. Look on ebay.

Look on the parts list there should be a spacer that the bolt goes thru.Than the cutout on the seat pan will lock into that and hold the front of the seat down.If were talking about the same thing.

ktm450guy, yup, that's what I guess I'm missing! I loosened up the bolt so the seat tab grabs it. just did that to store it.

I don't have a manual and the instruction manual that came with it don't show the seat let alone a parts list....just another good reason to have a comprehensive manual!

I was able to locate the ktm one. It seems that it calls for a screw with a "collar sleeve", I think the mechanic who worked on it must have lost it, unless it wasn't there. I was going crazy why I couldn't get the seat on so the rear bolt would work!

I bought a bolt kit from a store and of course the one that looks like it would work is way too short.

FYI;If you need to look up parts and dont have a manual go to somewhere like ktmtalk,cyclehutt etc.Just put in your year and model and it will show you all the parts and prices.

Even solitary specialty bolts? I think I need to see what it looks like, it didn't come up on the KTMhutt site. I bought the $20 bolt kit from them and the one that looks like it might be it was too short (stubby one with a shank on it and wide head).

24010588_lg.jpg

Edited by helix66

Haynes actually made a repair manual for my 2007 450 EXC. I also have the KTM manuals but, I ordered the Haynes to have as a back-up...you sometimes can't have enough information at hand. The interesting thing about the Haynes manual...when I received it, it was a hard cover vs. the usual soft cover manuals I'm used to for automotives. I have never seen this and was impressed, especially considering the price was not outrageous. Now I know this doesn't affect the quality of the text inside the covers but, made me feel like I was getting a quality manual :thumbsup:

I didn't know Haynes made them, I'll check it out. Pretty crazy that it's a hard cover too, it reminds me of going to the library ages ago and signing out the chilton's book!