Sign in to follow this  

2001 ktm pro senior sx clutch ??

how do I pull the clutch on a 50 pro sr? Is there a tool to make life easier? I just bought the bike and understand the clutch needs pretty regular attention. As is the clutch acts like it wants to engage at idle. The clutches appear to be brand new. I have researched washer confugurations that might work well for my little rider, I believe I'm mechanically inclined enough to figure it out, but would love some insight from anyone who has been there and done it. Also how often should the clutch be inspected/serviced? Is there a recommended interval based on hours of riding?

there is a clutch puller for this three shoe clutch. the maintenance although simple, can be a big headache over time.

there is a ton of information on ktm talk, in their 50cc bible.

there are only a couple things to help keep the bike running well... 1. change the oil often or 2. get a tomar or dominator clutch. (this makes life so much easier)

I have had the Dominator clutch and it rocks! But, if you don't want to spend the money just buy some stainless steel washers and they will last 3x as long as the stock washers.

I have had the Dominator clutch and it rocks! But, if you don't want to spend the money just buy some stainless steel washers and they will last 3x as long as the stock washers.

they may last a little longer, but the maintenance is still the same if you have to tear the clutch out to clean the crud between the belleville washers.

We had an 2005 KTM Pro Junior, I ended up getting these:

http://www.k2parts.com/product/display/3151/%20K2's%20Stainless%20Steel%20Clutch%20Washers%20/%20100%20pk

Here's a picture of the clutch tool:

http://www.k2parts.com/product/display/5/KTM_LC50_Clutch_Puller

You basically put the small bolt screws through the disk and screw into the clutch. Then you screw in the main large bolt into the disk and keep turning until the clutch pops off.

You're going to need something to keep the crank from turning. I used a piston stop.

I used Blue Loctite on the clutch nut and also on the clutch stacks. Never had an issue.

Changing engagement is done by changing the height of the washer stack in the clutch and the order of the flat vs. cupped washers. As mwntioned above go to ktmtalk and A) get the 50 bible and :thumbsup: do a search for washer stacks in the mini-section and you will find a ton of posts addressing this. I belive we ran a .650 stack when we were on our 2001 Pro Sr. Not 100% though, it's been a while. And change the oil often (every 2-3 rides or 1 race).

Thanks for rhe feedback everybody. I cchecked out the "bible" on ktmtalk what an awsome resource. After much research I believe I will go with a .650 stack and see how it works out. Ordered all that I need yesterday. Can't wait until next weekend to show it to him on his birthday.

the pre 09 bikes require a lot of care and feeding. if he likes the bike, look into a 09-current bike and a lot of those pre 08 bike problems go away.

Yeah, I've recently learned that the 09 to previous models have a redesigned, better clutch system. Unfortunately the price tag is a little out of my budget. I'll have to see how my little guy does on this one and take it from there.

• Like 1