Sign in to follow this  

Strange oil? Pure white, thick and slick, not oil/water mix?

I picked up a running YZ80 tonight and I took out the oil check bolt and a pure white substance slowly seeped out. It wasn't a water/oil mix, it had no color change and was absolute pure white, and it was thick, like the racing oil I have in my Honda. I have seen and felt an oil/water mix many times (I do a lot of buy-fix-selling) and never seen anything like this. The previous owner said the guy he got it from actually used it for racing so I am wondering if this is a special racing oil, maybe Cobra Clutch Milk? Is the Clutch Milk white? I'm baffled, and don't know wether to drain it out and throw it away or keep it in their because its expensive racing oil. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Don't know, never heard of it but if it was in there before the previous owner bought it and then he rode it, then it might be time to change it anyways, right?

You should be changing the trans oil every 5 to 7 hrs. depending on how har the bike is being ridden anyway. If the oil has been in there for a while it becomes corrosive. Sounds like water mix that has been sitting for a long time.

Its soooo thick though. Thick and consistant, not chunky. I guess I will replace it then, and throw some SAE 10W-30 in it.

Water in the oil and it will corrode. Find the source and fix it, don't know about the 80s but water pump seals are known to fail and leak water into the engine or tranny. Drain and flush with diesel or kerosine, you can even use paint thinner or WD40 but diesel is the cheapest. Run the bike easy thru the gears and drain, if there is still signs of water do it again. Fill with fresh oil and cycle it one more time, drain and refill.