Sign in to follow this  

30cc Homelite weedeater Project

Thought I'd share one of my back in the day Projects. The wife hates this Motor....LOL

I was cleaning up and came across one of my back in the day projects. I bought a New 30cc weed eater Motor from Home-lite back in 1985. I came up with some port specs for peak power to be around 10,000-12,000(est).

I wanted to added 2 more transfer port's..........well I took the cylinder and cut away where i wanted to add the port's. And used JB weld to build the area back up(layer by layer and so on). After it was built up with JB and totally dried, I took it to the mill and starting cutting Two more transfer port and corrected all port timing for the transfer's. Then ported the exhaust and added Two more side ports making it a triple port exhaust. Had to make a cooling jacket for the exhaust side, it get hot running at 14,000rpms. I even correct the squish clearance and angle by using a special ground boring bar(head is molded to the cylinder)

Designed Two different exhaust pipes out of aluminum, I had problems at first with the pipe cracking all the time..........until I installed a rubber collar between the exhaust cooling header and exhaust pipe.

One of these days I'd like to find a Home lite weed eater to install this Motor on it. If I ever do I'll make a video of it....LOL

Gene

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Edited by HI-TECH HORSEPOWER
  • Like 1

Does it run?

Oh ya, lots of time on this motor(this one will make your ear's tickle, need ear muffs)..............I have tried to blow this motor up by letting it rev at 14,000rpm for long periods at a time, with no load on Motor. Hasn't happened yet. Its a single web crank with a molded rod pin. The rod is held on by the plastic backing plate.

Throw that baby on a weed wacker with a brush cutter attachment and make some trails.

put in a boat

There is a boat with one of these Motor in it, I modified 2 of these motor's. I gave one away, it went in a double hull race boat the guys name was Sheldon (from Ohio) at the time he was 70 years old...........He called me one day and said he was having a blast with it winning everything, he even said he pontoon boat couldn't keep up with it.......LOL. Before he left here we took it down to the lake and ran it, I was amazed at how fast those things where. It screamed!

this is awesome, ive always wanted to build a small motor just the way you did, and for no reason at all. great work! did you happen to make a port map?

Hydrofoil R/C at about 1:5 scale.

I started working on something similar, but no where near as intense that was going to be fitted to a go-ped. Just big enough to be fun and small enough to legally terrorize the neighborhood.

Ran into problems acquiring parts for the drive train, gave up. Also a Homie, not sure if 25 or 30 cc, but a weed whacker.

I've since appropriated most of the go-ped frame as scrap metal for other projects.

:ride: Love the I.V. bag fuel tank...:thumbsup:

Thanks, I couldn't find my hanging fuel tank, so I used the next best thing..................pop bottle, drilled 1/2" hole in bottom, hot wired a hanger thru the bottom side too, drilled the cap .030 smaller than the hose.

this is awesome, ive always wanted to build a small motor just the way you did, and for no reason at all. great work! did you happen to make a port map?

Yea...... I do have papers with ever little detail done to it.