Sign in to follow this  

Pennsylvania Bloody Skillet Trails

I'm looking for info about the trails at Bloody Skillet. I have been on the website and looking at video on you tube, and it looks like a good place to ride. I have seen video of dirt bikes there and the web site does not exclude them, but I was wondering if someone had more info if bikes are allowed. Its a 3 hr drive for me and I would hate to make the trip and not be able to ride. Thanks for the help. Bob

It's labeled as an ATV trail so its a vehicle with 3 or more wheels or whatever the law states. I think some people do ride bikes there and there is tons of state forest roads to ride on if you have a plated bike. My girlfriends family has a cabin very close to there and they have gone there with their quads before. There is a camp next to them has people that bring dirtbikes. That make the occasional visit down there but only for a short time, they believe it is illegal and rarely do it. If your not quadtarded you don't have many options. You could give the state forest service a call just to make sure. There is shade mountain that's about an hour away from there. That is free and is for dirtbikes only. Ever look up reading anthracite? If you want to explore endless acres that is the place to go in PA. The only downfall is your only option there is a 125$ yearly pass and there aren't any maps of trails.

There's also a place near by that's also for quads and snow mobiles, its called snow shoe rails to trails. They recently added a connector between bloody skillet and snow shoe rails to trails from my understanding. One of these days I might have to turn myself into a quadtard because the two areas look great for riding.

Years ago this area had a PaTRA trail system, Wolfs Run, but that has closed long ago. I rode the Bloody Skillet to SSRT connector back in September on my quad and we rode right past the old PaTRA trail. It looked used but I'm sure it isn't legal.

SSRT allows bikes with a membership and if you bike has a plate you can ride the roads but that is all that is left in Sproul State Forest for bikes.

So you can ride bikes at SSRT? Thanks for the info. Do you have any contact info? I would like to send them an email to confirm this but can't find anything on their website. Yeah sproul state forest is mostly stone roads there is this one road that is a bit off road trail type thing. Its called Mccloskey rd. Its labeled as a road but its really a dirt trail. I've been down it a few times in suv's and trucks since I don't have a plated bike. There's a few stream crossings 2 i think and a pretty washed out hill section that could be a lot of fun on a bike.

Well I gave one of the officers of the snow shoe rails to trails system a call. You are allowed to run plated bikes there since they have registration. You are not allowed to ride dirt bikes that are not plated.

I didn't know that the bike had to be plated. I bet that is for insurance. What kind of bike do you own? You maybe able to register it and then you will be able to ride the roads. This is the best time of the year for a plated bike in Pa. State Forest because some of the gated roads are opened from 1 Oct to 1 Jan.

I have two older yamha dt's a 250 and 400. I can get liability insurance for them for about 75/year. I looked into this because I'm interested in going up to reading anthracite next year. I did let the guy know about the insurance and he stated they need be registered with the state still. I don't have titles for these bikes and they have been stripped of all street parts by previous owners. Someday I would like to get a dualsport/enduro that I can ride on the streets.

There is only one time of the year motorcycles are legally allowed to ride in Bloody Skillet. It is the two day DS/adventure ride that Durty Dabbers put on in May/June every year. Otherwise you can be ticketed, raped and bike jacked! This area of PA has atv trails because atv groups fought for the trail system. Us DS/dirt bikers are not organized yet or have gain the DNR's trust for trail development.

http://www.durtydabbers.com/

Join PaOHV @ www.paohv.org

Yes the reason the Bloody Skillet ATV trails exsist is that the ATV fund paid for 1/3 of the property from Litkey Coal Company. The ATV crowd isn't happy about it because they only have access to 1/10 of that property, the DCNR hosed them too.

Seems to me that PA is being penny wise and pound foolish. If quads need to be registered ,and paying money the state, to ride in their parks, by excluding bikes from the parks they are also loosing money. Quads pay registration fee, are not street legal, but can ride the parks. I for one would be willing to register my bike for off road use only and enjoy the same as quads. Seems like a win win for PA money wise. How do you guys out there feel about this?

Yeah I think that would be a good idea. Have an off road motorcycle registration similar to what the atv's have. Some people think that quads aren't as hard on the land as dirt bikes but I think it's a poor reason. It's not like a modded banshee is going to not tear a trail to shreds. I think for this to happen there needs to be bike clubs willing to donate time and money to maintain state trails. If the trails are already there I don't see why they would not want the extra income coming from dirt bike riders. I would love to ride bloody skillet and SSRT and would be more than willing to go through a registration process, similar to atv's to do this.

I have rode bloody skillet and for me it's wasn't good. From my experience there should be a atv trail and a bike trail. together makes no fun for the bikes or too narrow for the atv's.