What was the BEST year for the yz250?

06 and up

been so major mods since 06 (the year they got the SSS forks)

I think some may say 99, the motor was very strong that year.

I thought my 98 had an awesome motor (very smooth), but man was the suspension terrible:banghead:. The 01 was heads and tails above the 98. Now with the SSS suspension and the killer motor the 06 and up have the best of everything.:thumbsup:

That's the first year for the gold chain, right?

fingers crossed.

I hope we don't have to wait that long.

I'm banking on a (really) new YZ250 in 2013.

Give Yamaha one year to fine tune the bike, and I'll be in line for a 2014 model. (If the global economic/society/environment meltdown doesn't happen first!)

answer: the one that you own that is paid for....

Edited by Budlite
  • Like 1

Were the 2000 YZ250's good?
No...

...they were VERY good. :thumbsup:

Any YZ250 built after 1999 is a very good bike by almost any measurement.

And the earlier YZ's weren't bad either! :ride:

No...

I have to agree, any Yz that runs how it is supposed to is a great machine in its own right.

• Like 1

No...

You got me...

for a second.

Great comedic timing.:worthy:

• Like 1

I've had two 98 yz 250s, both for me and my son. Awesome bikes when we had them. When we stepped up to the 99s, way better. They just seem to get better as the years went on. Jr has now gone the four stroke way, with a 06 450 and I now ride a 06 YZ250. Just love the bike.

Edited by hillclimbguy
the 460 is suppose to be 450

I had a 2005 YZ 250 this bike was incredible it had tons of power, and handled like a dream you have to get 2005 and up. from 2005 to 2011 this bike has not changed.:thumbsup:

I had a 2005 YZ 250 this bike was incredible it had tons of power, and handled like a dream you have to get 2005 and up. from 2005 to 2011 this bike has not changed.:thumbsup:

2006 - SSS front forks

Most consider that substantial change

• Like 1

I would say 06+ would be your best bet ....In my case 02 is the best (i need the green sticker for California)

Rant, Rave, and debate. I'm excited to hear everyone's two cents.

I'll bet the newer ones from '06 - up are the big winners here with that nicer fork.

I have a '99 (in addition to my current 450F) -- and i have a good friend with an '03.

I honestly cannot tell enough difference between a '99 and an '03 to say heads or tails -- they are both good bikes, with how they are taken care of making all the difference in the world.

A well maintained '99 like mine i feel is preferable to a roached out '08 ----- but all other things being equal, i would usually defer to the newest version (which i guess is anything from '06 - now)

Was at a KTM dealership today --- Yamaha ? Are you listening? The newest KTM 2 strokes are trick as all get out ! They don't look like 13 year old bikes !

• Like 1

06+ are your best bet.

Yamaha should really get off their @$$es and put some R&D into their bikes. They need to go back to a steel frame, shave a few pounds, wider powerband, and tune the suspension so that it can handle square edged bumps better.