Sign in to follow this  

Scared of carbs.

I just picked up an 03 400E yesterday, and after checking fluids and filling the tank, took it out for a ride. Once it warmed up, throttle response felt great. I had an 07 S model a few years ago, and this one seems like a whole new animal. :thumbsup:

Here's the thing, in a few situations I'd let off the throttle expecting to get some engine braking. Instead, the RPM level would stay the same up to the point where I hit the back brake, or got to a place where the engine would have been under some load. Then, it'd go back to a normal idle level, or give me the engine braking I was expecting. It would do the same thing if I pulled in the clutch and let off the gas. When I stopped, the RPM's would stay up until I let the clutch out enough to drop the RPM.

It's all stock, aside from a Pro-Circuit T4 slip on.

There isn't much I'm afraid to tackle on it, but my lack of understanding of carbs terrifies me.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Matt

I would double, triple check your throttle cables, I have had mine slightly bind under the tank and they throttle would stick. Wasn't really a carb issue, just adjustment issue. If you are sure that isn't the issue, your slide might not be closing right. Your E model should have an FCR carb, so it has a slide instead of a butterfly that opens. You can pretty easily pull out the slide to check for free play. It should sllide very smoothly.

Thanks. The cables seem fine, and the throttle snaps back just like it should when I let it go. Guess it's time to dig into the carb.

Matt

What you describe is classic lean idle condition. Adjust the mixture screw is the place to start. BUT it is almost impossible to get to with the carb in place. 2.5 to 3 turns open. There are thousands of posts on carb tuning. Start by looking in FAQ for some recommendations.

Since it is an 03 it could very well be your carb needs to be rebuilt. Could be the slide is worn or the seal on the back of the slide needs to be replaced which is very often overlooked. Sudco (sp?) has rebuild kits available.