Sign in to follow this  

Valve problem -08 wr (pic)

Checked the valve clearances today, and noticed that an intake valve had move, the others were within tolerance (0.10-0.15mm) but on this I got an 0.40mms feeler gauge in.

Took off the valve lifter to check which shims, and was greeted by this sight, were also some metall on the magnet around the shim.

dont know what to do, replace the valve(s) or you can I shim up and calmly keep running.

The bike runs fine and no problem starting.

IMG_7697.jpg

Is the left valve in the image and compare with the center valve.

sorry for the bad english

//Johan

looks like the top of the left valve is mushroomed, gonna need replaced if it is before you drop the valve when it breaks off

How can you not tell? The top of the valve stem looks like it was hit with a hammer multiple times.

I don't know what caused it though.

What does the inside of the cup look like and what does the shim look like? From the pic it appears that the keeper started to self destruct. Maybe the shim started to come apart or was in there crooked. When was last time the lifter was taken off?

Pre '09 the tips coating would wear, and just get worse over time.

In 09 yamaha came out with updated valves with a harder coating on stem tips to prevent this.

It's actually common especially if shims are rough or worn out.

You may need a new guide and definitely need atleast that seat cut.

How can you not tell? The top of the valve stem looks like it was hit with a hammer multiple times.

I don't know what caused it though.

ye i see what you mean now, just my bike clearence went bigger than tighter before so would just like to inspect mine again but i didnt know what to look for.

Took the cylinde head off and turned it in to my local yamaha workshop today, dont have the proper tools or knowledge to change valves by my self.

Both the cup and the shim is undamage, only place that looks damaged is the top of valve.

//Johan