Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel won't spin freely

Just bought a used bike with 7 hours on it the suspension was redone by Devol and the owner put it back on himself. The front wheel only spins for about 1-2 seconds with a hard spin how can I fix this problem? Grease the axle? Take off the caliper and re-assemble the wheel? Any info would help to get this wheel moving freely!

Why is it not spinning, rotor rubbing, bearings worn, forks not aligned may cause the pads to rub on the rotor. Greasing the axel won't help because the wheel spins on the bearings, the brake pads may drag a little as well.

Some brake pad drag is normal, but it's also common for guys to overlook greasing the caliper mounting pins which can make the pads drag excessively.

Take the brake caliper off and see if it turns freely then. If so, your brake is dragging. Check there to find out what is wrong.

If it is still not wanting to turn without the caliper on there, your wheel bearings are probably beat. Is there any play in the hub on the axle?

• Like 1

Also check to make sure the spacers are correct and on the right side... I bought a used bike once that had the spacers on the wrong side and the wheel wouldnt spin freely because the rotor was rubbing. I dont even know how they got the rotor in the caliper, but they did.

Could be new wheel bearings and the seals are dragging, or maybe someone packed them with a stiff grease.