Sign in to follow this  

2012 ktm250sx or Yz250

I'm in the market for a new bike and I know for sure I want either a 2012 ktm250sx or a 2012 yz250, I'm a top five B-class rider and evidently I'm pretty hard on the bikes I ride. I'm good with maintenance but i tend to kill the bikes i ride within two years. So out of the two id like to know which is going to be more reliable and hold up in the long run. :thumbsup:

I'm in the market for a new bike and I know for sure I want either a 2012 ktm250sx or a 2012 yz250, I'm a top five B-class rider and evidently I'm pretty hard on the bikes I ride. I'm good with maintenance but i tend to kill the bikes i ride within two years. So out of the two id like to know which is going to be more reliable and hold up in the long run. :thumbsup:

Both of these bikes will hold up just fine. You're maintenance is what matters.

Do you have ktm parts and tools lying around or yamaha parts and tools lying around.

Both are excellent choices. However, a YZ may be a bit easier to find new given the fact the 12 250sx's seem to have all been spoken for.

Both are excellent choices. However, a YZ may be a bit easier to find new given the fact the 12 250sx's seem to have all been spoken for.

there is a reason for that...

The 12 yz is a 6yr old bike that is still reproduced

SX250!!!

Better motor, chassis, brakes!, clutch, billet hubs/clamps, and plated pipe.

Yz probably still has better suspension but a revalve can help that.

Plus the YZ is most likely still more $ even though the last update was 06 for major and 08 for minor..............

YZ's resell will drop huge being that its the same bike since 06

Also support the company who still R/D's

MXA review on the 2012

http://motocrossactionmag.com/KTM/News/MXAS-2012-KTM-250SX-TWOSTROKE-MOTOCROSS-TEST-KING-8221.aspx

2011 SX vs YZ (2012 has link!)

http://motocrossactionmag.com/KTM/News/MXA-250-MOTOCROSS-SHOOTOUT-2011-KTM-250SX-VS-2011-7969.aspx

.... And que the Yz vs KTM debate .. Both bikes are great bikes .. Yes , the KTMs have more technology and are more up to date than the yamaha. But, something with the YZ must be right if it's a "6 old bike in a 2012 wrapper" and they are still selling units . KTM on paper is the better bike. If possible , ride both (or at least sit on both) and see which u feel better on.

YZ is a great bike. I've ridden it and had a 06yz125 but IMO you would be stupid to buy one new unless you can get it for $4500 OTD, when you can buy a decent 06+ used for $2k-2500 and rebuild the whole bike to your setup for $2k..... Plus like I have stated before the resale will be terrible. A 2012 yz for $6k+ would be lucky to get $4k the next year.

Yeah i have a few different dealers by me who have both yz's and ktm, and i was leaning towards the ktm but now i'm positive I want it haha thanks everyone for your help.... buurrraaaap

Definitely go for the KTM unless you find a fully setup and tricked out yz for a very low price.

Definitely go for the KTM unless you find a fully setup and tricked out yz for a very low price.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with any of those two bikes. And... its kinda fun to buy a used bike and build it up.

I've never owned a new bike because I end up taking off or upgrading everything anyways (bars, tank , seat, tires, suspension, pegs, clutch, ... etc...). Two years ago, I bought an 05 yz250 for $1800, then commenced to investing well over $2k to get it like I liked it.

Funny thing is... only about $300 of that was engine and drive train related. I would have changed out all that stuff on a brand new yz. It helped to start at a lower price. The yz hasn't changed in about 6 years, so getting a used one and fixing it up gives you the same bike as buying a new yz and fixing it up.

If money is no object and you can actually find one....I think KTM is the obvious no-brainer. But like many have said, chances are whatever you end up getting....you're probably gonna put money into it to get it customized for your personal taste. Especially if you are an off-roader. I bought a new KTM 2T last year and put $2500 into it right off the bat in extras. And exactly what are you doing to "kill" these bikes that thet are wasted within 2 years?