Sign in to follow this  

Broken Chain - How did I do this?

I have a drz400 and replaced the chain this year with a new RKGB520XSO chain (supplied by the owner I bought the bike from). This is a gold rx ring chain. I also replaced front and rear sprockets at this time.

Acording to my maintenance log I got 5361 miles out of this chain before it broke. The inner links on the outside edge of the chain all show wear and there are around a dozen spots were the inner links are cracked on the outside edge. (outside links show some minimal wear) What could have caused this?

of the 5361 miles 4500+ are street/freeway miles.

I am not seeing any spots on my bike where there was excessive wear.

thanks for your help.

I have a drz400 and replaced the chain this year with a new RKGB520XSO chain (supplied by the owner I bought the bike from). This is a gold rx ring chain. I also replaced front and rear sprockets at this time.

Acording to my maintenance log I got 5361 miles out of this chain before it broke. The inner links on the outside edge of the chain all show wear and there are around a dozen spots were the inner links are cracked on the outside edge. (outside links show some minimal wear) What could have caused this?

of the 5361 miles 4500+ are street/freeway miles.

I am not seeing any spots on my bike where there was excessive wear.

thanks for your help.

take some good, clear pictures of the front and rear sprocket, along with the chain links. i'm going to bet on mis-alignment.

1. misalignment of sprockets

2. lubing issues

3. chain adjusted incorrectly

4. defective chain

Without pics I'd also lean toward the sprockets not aligned - the wear you mentioned sounds like it's from some sort of sideways deflection of the chain.

how are your wheel bearings? seems like you chain may not be running in line with the sprockets.

I see only 2 possibilities. Chain too tight or defective chain. I do not see the wear on the sprockets for too tight so I'm going with defective chain. Seen it before but only 1 link plate at a time.

how are your wheel bearings? seems like you chain may not be running in line with the sprockets.

Not sure. I will check them tomorrow.

checked the wheel bearings. Everything looked good.

how much slack did you have in the chain ?

Looks to me like the left side of the rear wheel was farther back than the right side. This caused a "twist" mis-alignment on the chain and sprockets. You can see how the teeth are polished on the rear sprocket and that's most likely the side of the chain that has all of the broken links.

I'm still sayin defective chain. I've seen sprockets half eaten away on 1 side from mis-alignment and still not damage the chain.

Even chains run with no slack will take out wheel bearings first.

I run the bike chain tansion on the loose side. Secondly the rear sprocket has the same amount of shine on the other side. I think the picture just makes it looked polished.

sure looks clean. How often do you lube the chain? The x ring chain means the grease should stay INSIDE the links for the life of the chain, but you still have to lube the chain-to-sprocket interface the old fashioned way with some sort of chain lube. I believe the owners manual gives 200 miles or so as the lube interval.