Sign in to follow this  

Xring chain rubbed my engine cases

I ran the chain for about 4 hours and took it off for cleaning. while i was installing the chain i saw metal worn off the engine case around the front sprocket. The Xring is 3mm wider than the stock chain. Does anyone know of a fix or is there a spacing kit available to fix this or am I out 140 bucks on a chain that I cant use? Buyers Beware! This was on an 08450R

You need a spacer to shim out the sprocket. Fastway makes one, but you also will need one of those anodized washers for the outside of the sprocket and ditch the stock one. the stock tension washer may break if you just add the washer behind the sprocket.

Here's an old thread on the problem...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-398443.html

Just flip the front sprocket over!

I've heard that flipping the sprocket over puts too much leverage on the bearing and wears it out.

I would think it's that close for a reason.

But, it's your bike so do what you want.

I know a lot of guys that flip the sprocket over and have not had any problems, but I wonder what it does to chain life due to the slight misalignment. I run a DID VT2 and have not seen any rubbing and it doesn't require a spacer. Oh yeah, I haven't adjusted it in over 70hrs either. That chain with an ironman rear sprocket; you wont be dissapointed.

I've heard that flipping the sprocket over puts too much leverage on the bearing and wears it out.

I would think it's that close for a reason.

But, it's your bike so do what you want.

what does what?? :thumbsup: how is reversing the sprocket align the teeth of the cs sprocket any differently than running a spacer behind it?

I know a lot of guys that flip the sprocket over and have not had any problems, but I wonder what it does to chain life due to the slight misalignment. I run a DID VT2 and have not seen any rubbing and it doesn't require a spacer. Oh yeah, I haven't adjusted it in over 70hrs either. That chain with an ironman rear sprocket; you wont be dissapointed.

as far as additional wear from the "misalignment".. the drive chain and sprockets will be worn from just RIDING well before and 1/10th of a degree of misalignment would affect things. It is likely your rear wheel is more out of alignment every time you adjust your chain. Also keep in mind the chain moves back and forth with significant force when going over bumps and stuff? It isn't like the chain is in "perfect" alignment all the time anyway !:ride:

just flip the sprocket over and run it. been doing since new on my bike. 230 hrs now and no problems.

Thanks everyone for the help but i dont understand the difference between flipping the sprocket and adding a spacer, seems either one would misalign the chain a little. Im no expert rider by far but I could tell the power difference after i installed the OEM chain. I think I will just drop the xring idea and go back to a normal chain, thanks again everybody.

what does what?? :thumbsup: how is reversing the sprocket align the teeth of the cs sprocket any differently than running a spacer behind it?

A spacer is only .020 to .030 thick. what do you think the difference is when you flip the sprocket?

They offset the sprocket to the inside for a reason, to reduce the leverage as much as possible on the shaft and bearing, the further out, the more pressure there is on them.

The misalignment front to back wouldn't be a problem because of the 2'+ distance between the two sprockets, that I agree.

Will reversing the offset cause a worn bearing, leaking seal or broken shaft? I can't say for sure, but I definitely woun't find out with my bike.

You could tell the power difference????????? So you can tell when you loose maybe .05hp at the wheel?? Oh and Ive run the front sprocket flipped for over 100hr's and no such seal or bearing issues.

I dynoed my CRF450 back to back with a DID 520VT2 x-ring and a conventional DID chain, and there was absolutely no difference in horsepower.

There's no reason to use a spacer, or flip the sprocket, if you use a 520VT2 x-ring chain. It was designed specifically for the CRF.