Sign in to follow this  

Not sure how I can fix my drz

The previous owner had an Athena big bore kit installed and the shop over tightened a bolt and stripped the threads for the valve cover. It threads into the camshaft mounting cover. I know I can't replace just the mount as it is a mated fit. Any thoughts other than pulling my whole cylinder head off? I have put silicone around the valve cover gasket but it still leaks some oil. I hate oil leaks...

Yea, that is a tough one. 7mm, 1.0mm pitch thread. Evaluate for a Helicoil or a Timecert thread repair. Or perhaps tap to 8mm, 1.0mm pitch and have a custom shoulder bolt made. Just an idea. You will have to do some calculations first to see what will work.

I've retapped 6mm threads to 1/4in fine thread with no problems but a thread insert shoudn't be that hard to install either.

Thanks, I'll pull the camshaft cover and see if there is room for a heli-coil.

Fixed this more then once.

http://www.shopping.com/Helicoil-100-M7-X-1-00-X-10-5mm-Helicoil-Thread-Inserts/info

minutes worth of work.

The coils I have are too long, so I install them as far as they can go then trim the top.

There are several DRZ's in OR with this fix, and 1 in TX I have done, going long and strong.

As long as the cap threaded boss is not fractured, there is plenty of material to repair.

opyat1.jpg

IMG_0018-2.jpg

Off the top of my head I do not remember if the DRZ cam cap valve cover holes go all the way though the casting or not... I’ve done a bunch in different bikes and they all bleed together. This is a common think with home wrenches to do..

If the hole is blind, you will need two tools not included on a Heli Coil kit.

Drill stop collar so you do not drill though the cap.. And a bottoming tap.

Edited by E.Marquez

I notice in the picture, there are 2 non-standard hex head cam cap bolts. Which brings up another issue. There are 2 bolt lengths and if you get the wrong length in the wrong place the bolt will strip the threads (too short) or bottom in the hole and strip the threads (too long).

I notice in the picture, there are 2 non-standard hex head cam cap bolts. Which brings up another issue. There are 2 bolt lengths and if you get the wrong length in the wrong place the bolt will strip the threads (too short) or bottom in the hole and strip the threads (too long).

SAMPLE picture, not the OP's , just something I had saved to be illustrative. Sorry for the confusion.:thumbsup: