Sign in to follow this  

2011 F150 vs Tundra

First, this is not intended to be a pissing match. I'm looking for opinions from people who have actually owned or driven these trucks. Now on to my question-

I'm ready to get a new truck, I've narrowed it down to either an F150 FX4 or a Tundra, preferably the TRD Off Road version. I want to stay under the $35k OTD. I'll be using it for a little hauling, some off-road, and it will be my everyday commuter. The closest that I've found to what I want are:

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FTFW1EF4BKE13543&refid=FV

or

2011 Toyota Tundra MSRP

Model - 8363 CREWMAX 5.7L V8 Base: $35,035.00

Exterior Color - 0202 BLACK Installed Options: $6,140.00

Interior Color - FU13 GRPHT/DRK CHARCL/BLK GRPH Total: $41,175.00

* Base MSRP includes delivery charge

** Prices subject to change without notice

*** Please refer to vehicle Monroney label for final specifications and pricing

Standard Features for this model

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE EXTERIOR

- 5.7L DOHC 32V i-FORCE V8 with Dual - 5.5' Double-Walled Bed w/Rail Caps

- Ind VVT-i 381HP/401 lb-ft, E85 Flex Fuel INTERIOR

- 6-Spd Automatic Trans w/Sequential Shift - 40/20/40 Split-&-Fold 8-Way Driver &

- 4WDemand: Part-time 4x4 Sys w/ 2-speed - 4-Way Passenger Adjustable Bench Seat

- Electronically Controlled Transfer Case - Dual Zone Climate Control w/Sync Mode

- TripleTech Frame: Fully-boxed Fr Section - AM/FM CD w/ MP3/WMA Playback Capability,

- Reinforced C Under Cab, Open C Under Bed - 6 Spkrs, XM Compat (Hrdw & Sub Req), Aux

- 4.10 Rear Differential w/10.5" Ring Gear - Power Windows/Door Locks/Mirrors

- Automatic Limited-Slip Differential - Remote Keyless Entry System

- Front Ind Coil-Spring High-Mounted - Tilt Steering Wheel with Column Shifter

- Double Wishbone Susp w/Stabilizer Bar - Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers

- Trapezoidal Multi-Leaf Rear Suspension - Cruise Control, Engine Immobilizer

- & Staggered Outboard Mounted Shocks

- Power-Assisted 4 Wheel Disc Brakes

- 18" Steel Wheels w/ P255/70R18 Tires

Selected Options and Packages

Code Description Code Description

CK Cold Weather Package: PE Cloth-Trimmed 8-Way Power-Adjustable

- Includes Heavy-Duty Battery and Starter, - Power-Adjustable Driver's and 4-Way

- Windshield Wiper De-Icer Grid with Timer - Manual-Adjustable Passenger Bucket Seats &

- and Front and Rear Mudguards - Center Console with 12V Power Outlet

EV AM/FM CD Player RE Federal Emissions

- with MP3/WMA Playback Capability, 6 RL Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

- Speakers, XM Radio (Includes 90-Day Trial BT Spray-On Bedliner

- Subscription), Auxiliary Audio Jack, USB DT Window Tint

- Port with iPod Connectivity, and - (Compliant with the laws of TX, AR, OK & MS)

- Hands-Free Phone Capability and Music - Not available in LA

- Streaming via Bluetooth Wireless CF Premium Carpet Mat Set

- Technology S6 Premium Security System

HM Heated Power Outside Mirrors BM Ball Mount

MN Backup Camera Linked F1 VIP Sales Follow-Up

- with an Auto-Dimming Mirror with Monitor I2 PDS -with Texas State Inspection

OF TRD Off-Road Package: G1 Vehicle Fueling (6 Gal.)

- Includes Off-road-tuned Suspension,

- Bilstein Shocks, Unique 18" Alloy Wheels

- with P275/65R18 BFGoodrich Tires, Fog

- Lamps, Fuel Tank Skid Plate, TRD Off-Road

- Package Graphic. Plus Tow Package:

- Includes Tow Hitch Receiver, Trailer Brake

- Controller Prewire, 4.300 Rear Axle Ratio,

- TOW/HAUL Mode Switch, Transmission fluid

- Temperature Gauge, Supplemental

- Transmission Cooler, Engine Oil Cooler,

- 7-Pin Connector, Heavy-Duty Alternator and

- Battery

I can get the Ford for under $33k before TTL, the Toyota is 35,400+TTL. Is the Toyota worth the premium? I like the power of the Toyota, the backseat is bigger and I really like that the rear window goes down. Resale also looks to be better. The Ford has a slightly nicer interior, and I think I'll like the overall look better after a couple mods. Thoughts?

Edit: The winner is:

382287_10101685072817454_9347881_87186858_95804535_n.jpg

Not the one listed above, but close enough. I'll be changing most of the things that are different from those packages anyway.

Edited by orlowskij

That ford is a nice truck, has all the good bells on it. I used to sell those thngs and they are impressive! Check out what the invoice is and try for Inv +$100 and then apply Special financing offers or Rebates to drop the price even more, and you got a great truck at a great price....the dealers have incentives from Ford to move those 2011's right now so they can "give em away" if they want to.

Well, I think you'd be better off with the Toyotas. But seems like you have it nailed down to the two, I'd test drive each one. In the end, only you can decide which one you will like.

But for the record, the Tundra has a mammoth ring gear and it will have the 4.30 axle ratio, mammoth 14" disc brakes all the way around, in addition to the tranny cooler and engine oil cooler, it has a tranny heater (this is a 6 spd auto) for those cold days. Engine consist of a 6 bolt main bearing caps (4 down, 2 sideways) forged steel crank, shot peened rods, full floating piston pins (its a race car engine) hydraulic roller followers for the valve train...

Looking at the Ford window sticker, its a smaller engine, way less options overall, the Tundra is spendy, Toyotas have always been pricey, but it looks like the better value.

I dont know much about the Fords finer details, but I am sure its comparable too. All these mfg are so competitive anymore. If one has something, its no more than the next model year, the competitors will have it too.

I just switched from a 2007 TRD Crewmax to a 2011 Lariat supercrew (Ecoboost) in August.

Drive them both, for me it came down to the Ford's interior and the fact that in Canada a comparable Toyota is $10 000 more. There's pluses and minuses to both, but they're both great trucks. If I towed a lot, I'd have bought another Tundra.

Thanks guys, that is the kind of info I was looking for. I've driven both already and it's really close between the 2. The Ford has the advantage since I qualify for their employee pricing through my employer, in addition to the 2011s being easier to find at this point. The Tundra above is definitely more truck, I just can't decide if it's worth the extra ~3-4k to me.

As toyota_mdt_tech stated above I love my Tundra drive train, the motor and trans are great compared to the Dodge and Chevy trucks I previously owned. The interior is flat out terrible compared to the competition these days - the Dodge and Ford are much better inside IMO. The Limited interior on the Toyota is OK but anything below that trim is lacking, my TRD does not even have lit door switches besides the one for my window. If you plan on towing the Toyota gas tank size is not great either, pulling my small toy hauler the 26 gallon tank limits range for sure. I think Ford offers a bigger option depending on motor choice.

I just passed 21K on my 2010 Toyota with no problems up to this point, perfectly happy with it but I hope when it gets redesigned around 2014 the interior gets a major makeover.

Thanks guys, that is the kind of info I was looking for. I've driven both already and it's really close between the 2. The Ford has the advantage since I qualify for their employee pricing through my employer, in addition to the 2011s being easier to find at this point. The Tundra above is definitely more truck, I just can't decide if it's worth the extra ~3-4k to me.

I don't know if its MORE truck compared to my Ecoboost, but it cetainly isn't lacking. Trucks are like dirt bikes these days - all are fine (except GM of course), but they are built with a certain philosophy. You just match up their thinknig to yours and go!

Hmmmm....

Wonder why Toyota had to go with a 4.30 vs a 3.73 or even a 4.10.

I love my 2010 F-150 SuperCrew, again, pulled the 2007 Corolla across the country on a uhaul trailer and didn't miss a beat.

14.5 - 16.5mpg

Hmmmm....

I love my 2010 F-150 SuperCrew, again, pulled the 2007 Corolla across the country on a uhaul trailer and didn't miss a beat.

14.5 - 16.5mpg

With the 6 speed trans the 4.30 is very well spaced for towing, low first and I believe 6th is a second overdrive. Remember Toyota was the first 1/2 ton with a 6 speed behind their truck, everyone else followed in the market and Dodge just finally switched to a 6 for 2012 in the 1500 platform.

Pulling a car is not a great test of pulling power IMO, barely any resistance - take a tall 8ft wide trailer for a pull and see how the Ford does. My 2003 Chevy 5.3 with 4.10 rear was not even in the ballpark pulling my 18FT trailer compared to the Toyota. Not saying the Ford is bad by any means, I will wait for the long haul reports on the EB motor before jumping in, sure other companies will have similar motor changes when the major redesigns happen.

Dont waste your money on either. Get a used 2008+ Dodge 2500 CUMMINS!! You could have ahell of alot more of a truck, better fuel mileage, and the million mile motor..

I have a 2005 tows my 35ft 5th wheel without a beat! 20mpg highway, programing turned down. 10mpg with 15k

With the 6 speed trans the 4.30 is very well spaced for towing, low first and I believe 6th is a second overdrive. Remember Toyota was the first 1/2 ton with a 6 speed behind their truck, everyone else followed in the market and Dodge just finally switched to a 6 for 2012 in the 1500 platform.

Pulling a car is not a great test of pulling power IMO, barely any resistance - take a tall 8ft wide trailer for a pull and see how the Ford does. My 2003 Chevy 5.3 with 4.10 rear was not even in the ballpark pulling my 18FT trailer compared to the Toyota. Not saying the Ford is bad by any means, I will wait for the long haul reports on the EB motor before jumping in, sure other companies will have similar motor changes when the major redesigns happen.

Car weighs 2600 more so 3000 with all the stuff inside. 2210 for the trailer, I'd say 5210 is a fair comparison, I'd have no doubt it will do 11,300 when the time comes.

Hmmmm....

Well, asking is how you learn. Because it has a 6 spd "double overdrive" transmission. So you have the towing advantage of a lower gear to get a heavy load moving, yet, good decent rpms cruising down the highway at 70 mph.

Drop the tailgate on both trucks .

Now stand in the middle of both tailgates.

Report back with your findings.

Nothing. Dude, old news, 2007-08 issues, solved. Standing in the middle didnt do anything, it was more like 600+ lb utility quads, but resolved long ago. Next question please. :thumbsup:

Well, asking is how you learn. Because it has a 6 spd "double overdrive" transmission. So you have the towing advantage of a lower gear to get a heavy load moving, yet, good decent rpms cruising down the highway at 70 mph.

Awesome answer! I had heard through the grapvine that it had the 4.30 to make the torque, now it is cleared up.:thumbsup:

I almost bought a Tundra and I think that either way the OP decides to go he will get a great truck:thumbsup:

Nothing. Dude, old news, 2007-08 issues, solved. Standing in the middle didnt do anything, it was more like 600+ lb utility quads, but resolved long ago. Next question please. :thumbsup:

My buddy has a 2010 Tundra. When you step on the tailgate it bows bown.

I have loaded and unloaded tons of stuff on mine with zero problems. Leave it down all the time with two bike back wheels sitting on it while transporting for long distances and it has held up well. Heck when loading my generator in the back two of us stand on it while pulling and sliding the gen into the back, has to be well over 600lbs between everything - no bending at all.

The Tundra is not a bad truck, it does need some interior updates and refinements compared to the other offerings that have come out for sure. The new Ford's are very nice and if I had any luck with previous American trucks (Chevy / Dodge) I might have jumped in again on one - unfortunately both did not treat me well at all.

I have a 2010 Ram 2500 Cummins and when I step on the tailgate, it also bows down and I'm not morbidly overweight either, just well fed. :thumbsup: Oh, the Ram reads "Heavy Duty" on the side. I suspect you can get every tail gate in the industry to do that.

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech

Get the Toyota, great trucks and you're not supporting UAW bullshit.