Sign in to follow this  

Full on mx bike or or biogger "trail" bike

I am 5' 8" and about 175lbs. I am trying to decide whether to get a full on motorcross bike or a trail bike that is good on the track. I ride in fields but, everyother weekend or so I like to go to the track. I have riddin a crf150r( was very impressed even though i was a little cramped), owned a 02 yz250f( was not impressed at all even though i dont think the motor was dialed in all the way and felt real clumsy) and a crf150f( disliked the lack of raw throaty power). I have been looking at a kx250f, crf250r or something like a ktm 350 offroad"trail" bile. I like out of the hole deep power more than high rev like a two stroke(which i dont want). I am wanting something on the newer side 08 and up newer is better and would love efi i can get it. Dont really want brand new would rather a year or so old. Sorry form such the long post and typin mistakes but let me know if you have any questions or sugestions. Thanks for reading.

Your dilemma is very common. There are alot of riders out there who want a bike that will do it all. The problem is that not very many bikes do both tracks and trails really well. Unless money is not an issue, I would advise staying away from the 250F racing bikes...they are high maintenance machines. With respect to MX bikes, you are correct about smaller bore 2 strokes not have as much low end power as the 4 strokes. However, KTM makes several trail bikes that have plenty of low end torque. You might look into a KTM 200/250 EXC. They are 2 stroke trail bikes that are also track friendly. I have a KTM 300 XC and it produces as much low end torque as any 4 stroke I have ridden. If you are stuck on 4 strokes, I have heard good things about the KTM 350. It really depends on how much trail vs track you are riding. If you are riding 80% trail, get an offroad bike that performs decent on the track. If you are riding 80% track, get a MX bike. However, dont expect one bike to perform flawlessly on both track and trail..they were both built with an intended purpose in mind.

I own a crf250x, and this bike is good for both, if tuned correctly. Mine has a vance&hines xcr, its got good power but is quiet and slow enough for trails, but if you need more than a 250, get a 450... Oh, and theyre pretty reliable, theyre good for both, have fun choosing....

I started woods riding on a yz250f. I loved it, and rode it on trails for over five years, with a couple trips now and then to the track. Regardless of what a previous poster stated, my 250f was very dependable, and with a little tuning you can turn them into great woods machines. The suspension and weight of the trail bikes would have me turned off to riding them on the track as much as you sound like you intend to. I have both a yz250f and a wr450f now. One for each type of riding I do. :ride: I vote for the 250f, or a 2T motocross bike if the 2 stroke thing is your deal. Good luck on whatever you decide! :thumbsup:

If a yz250f felt clumsy, why would a CRF250r or any other 250f feel any better? A 250f racing bike is a pretty light bike. I would get a KTM XC. It is in between a trail and mx bike. Smooth powerband but with stiffer suspension then the EXC/XC-w.