Sign in to follow this  

HID lights via battery

Since 2007 I have ran our local 24 hour race at Starvation Ridge so lighting is something I have a bit of time with. This weekend I did a shake down run in Central Oregon with my son and a couple friends.

Even though our bikes have trailtech stators that power any light we run I wanted to try the triple extreme headlight running on nothing but two lithium ion trailtech batteries.

I got an hour in with all three lights running then one of the two inch lights started flaming out so I shut it off. After about 1.5 hours the other two inch started flaming out so I shut it off. The 4 inch ran for a total of 2 hours.

With the 8 inch HID you can get a full two hours on batteries.

I see a lot of people trying to light all kinds of bikes so battery power is a viable option.

Joe..........

Would be cool to have a headlight/mask, battery and switch all in one unit that someone could slap on in a pinch. One bolt and a couple rubber straps. Could be for a race or just a trail emergency. Joe I think people avoid these electrical threads like the plague.

At the 6 hour last month my oldest son blew a ballast on an 8 inch HID. He managed to get back in with his helmet light and we threw a spare 8 inch HID on his bike. The problem was that the spare was set up to run off batteries with different connectors so we threw two batteries in a small fanny pack and duct taped them to the handlebars. It worked but was not very pretty.

At the same race I ran a 450 that was not set up with a stator for big lights so I ran another 8 inch off of batteries. I simply strapped the fanny pack around my waist. The problem with that is I am connected to the bike with a cable. I had a nasty wipe out late at night and ripped the headlight off the bike (all six zip ties broke). The headlight was headed off into a pond when it reached the end of the cable then I came right back at me. I had to ask people as they went by if they had any spare zip ties. Luckily someone did so I was back on course in short order but I will always have spare zip ties from now on;)

Your onto something with the batteries strapped to the headlight. That ballast plate has a little bit of room to work with. Only down side is even more weight on the front.

Joe...........

All good tips threw trial and error.

We have been doing Battery powered total lose systems for several years now, Our Stack Pack Light weight Lipoly batteries work great for conversions. each battery weighs in at 250 grams, about 1/2 lb.

Here is a TT 8" race light battery powered light that has won many off road events

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=153

And another battery powered LED setup that claimed several class wins in the last few Perry Mtn 24hr races.. Trail riders love these.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=84

All tried and true

For the 24 hour race this weekend. I will be running a triple extreme and have an 8 inch HID as backup powered off the trailtech stator system. We did a shakedown run last weekend at East Fort Rock and everything worked just fine.

Here is a link to a video from last weekend:

It is taking forever to upload. Conditions were mega dusty with nasty silt, felt like riding with flat tires. Out front it was ok but behind someone the dust was blinding.

Also, have a play project LED light that is being tested. We will see how that goes.

Joe..........

led.jpg