Sign in to follow this  

99 Suzuki RM 250 fork spring rates?

:thumbsup: I just picked up a 99 RM 250 in great cond. for desert/single track/playbike use. So far, I've managed to make the bike more "friendly" for off road/desert fun. I'm thinking the front fork spring rate is too soft for me though. Please bear with me on this subject, I've pretty much been off dirt bikes for about 30 years...So all of this "USD"/"Cartridge"/ 12" travel is new to me. The factory lists the stock springs at 4.35N/mm, and offers two softer factory springs. The heaviest aftermarket spring I have found is 4.00N/mm. This does not sound like much more rate. I weigh 210 lbs. with full gear, and I would say I'm intermediate in speed and skill. I do mainly desert riding..(no MX) What would be right for me? A heavier spring? Where can I find them?

that one is softer not stiffer , you need to check your front and rear sag readings to establish if the rates are correct presently

Sorry, my info was wrong. I found springs at 4.4...NOT 4.0. Some more research found a set at 4.6. I really do not know how this translates to rider weight/terrain/style. How do I check "Fork sag"....Should it match the rear? (it is now set at 4", from about 2 3/4" when I bought the bike.) This bike seems to have a fairly "steep" fork angle, as compared to what I remember, and it is a little "nervous" at speed, although it REALLY corners! I am thinking "keeping the forks high in their travel" would be better for stability...Or am I wrong?

yes measure like the rear but we need your free sag readings as well , rm is a carving machine