Sign in to follow this  

Vapor install help for TE250

Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of installing the Vapor speedo and dash in my wife's TE250.

The stock speedo broke so I thought I'd try this. Install has been straight forward but I'm wondering about the RPM sensor wire. I'd like to connect it to one of the spade terminals on the Coil like the directions show. There are 2 connections according to the wiring diagram: One to the fuel injector and one to the "black box". I'm supposed to use the one that goes to the stator but neither one does. I would think that the one that connects to the fuel injector would coincide with rpm. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Usually speed senser wire just wraps around plug wire.

Later George

I hooked it up to the coil and the RPM was very inconsistent. I then wrapped the wire 4 times around the plug wire, used some electrical tape to anchor it down and instant RPM!

OK. Thanks for the tips. I already hooked the rpm sensor wire to the coil, but I haven't started it yet. So if I don't get a good reading I know what to do. The reason it has been taking so long is I can't figure out how to trigger the neutral light or the low fuel light. I know that the gear selector sensor and the low fuel sensor signals are sent to the ecu and processed before going to the dash lights, but I spent all day with a multimeter and the stock speedometer harness and couldn't figure it out. It seems to me that one of those pins on the harness that comes from the ecu should have a change in voltage to trigger the lights but I can't find any. I've searched the forum and couldn't find the answer for the newer fuel injected bikes.

You will need to wrap it around the plug wire as described above for it to work right.