Sign in to follow this  

1998 kx 125 clutch issue

Hi guys ,I'm new to all this forum stuff :thumbsup: but I need some help desperately.

I have been riding all most all my life but this is my first kawasaki ...bought it used less then 20 days ago , brought it to my local shop this past week to have it tuned up , jetted and gone over .other then being boggie, all is good or so I thought ! Bike checked out perfectly I was told .compression is 170 lbs, starts first kick , blah blah blah.

My problem is this : upon getting my bike back on Friday from shop , I gave it a test ride and it was fine , I road it that day for all of 20 minutes at the max . I locked it up that night , went to work when I came home Saturday morning , I decided to wash the bike because 4 days prior we were riding the old tracks in my town . I degreaser the engine , hand washed the entire bike and put it away without ever starting it .today was a great day to ride , so we CHANGED THE OIL , loaded my bike and brought it to the riding spot.first kick and it started but as soon as I gave it gas , it started to bog out , backfire and I have not been able to re start it since .( running too rich after putting new jets in ) no problem , mechanic said to bring it back if I had problems....I also noticed now that I can't start it, that the clutch is not working ! If I put it in gear , pull the lever its staying in gear. ***.. the bike literally sat for one day and now the clutch ain't working ? I have not started the bike since Friday and today is Sunday . I tried a push start but I guess its running too rich and killed my plug and also noticed that when I try to kick it over , the fuel filter is emptying with every few kicks so I took that off cleaned the plug out re installed it and it started but died before I was able to get it in gear or at the least , TRY ! I don't know what to do , never had this happen on any other bike. Could degreaser some how gotten into the clutch plate? Could the colder weather have a part in this ? Or is my clutch in need of new plates ? I used 10w 30 motor oil if that means anything ? I'm away from home with no tools at my friends house literally 3 houses away from my mechanics shop which ain't open till Tuesday .... NEW JERSEY SUCKS !!!!!

ANY FEED BACK WOULD HELP :ride:

What part of jersey are u in? If your close to egg harbor city I could look at it for you . The clutch basket could be worn that will make the clutch hang up . Until its running .

As I mentioned in your other thread, a wet clutch will not release when the engine is not running. This is just due to the way that a wet clutch functions. That part of your problem is a non-issue. As far as the not running, sounds like you've gotten something into the carb.

Thanks brother.

I hate to say it BUT you were 100% correct .after a new plug ,first kick and started with no prob..pulled clutch lever in , put it in first and again , no problem . Back to running great .

Makes sense, when you think about it. Without the clutch spinning there's not adequate force to spin the oil out from between the plates.

Glad you got her going :thumbsup:

J.

well it turnd out that the carb adjustment was made on a foweling plug , so when i put the new plug in , the bike was getting a lean mix , blew the top end 15 minutes after i got riding ,either a hole in the piston or a detonation , but all compression is gone so i brought it back to the shop ( ofcourse its MY fault ) got an estimate of $300. and thats without opening the top end , ..... with a new top end "the mechanic" says i should run a very high octane gas, why dont this sound right ? shouldnt a higher octane burn hotter causing the same type of total meltdown ?

Premium pump gas shold be fine. And no, higher octane doesn't burn hotter.

Well here is the update ,

Just got bike back from the shop , I had a kawasaki tech do all the work on it which includes a new piston kit , cylinder sleeve , rings , baskets , crank seal , port inspection , reed cleaning , and a re jet back to factory settings. Final cost ......$710.00

Chris and Ron at rrp racing" www.rossiniracing.com" in stwartsville n.j. did the work and were totally honest ( unlike john at cycle pro in glen gardener n.j.) the guys at rrp said that my bike got a lot of complements and I was told that after all the repairs , it was faster then some of their race bikes .

Could not be more happier . Bike runs like it should now ! though I'm not a wide open , full throttle person . It's nice to know that its there if you need it.

Well here is the update ,

Just got bike back from the shop , I had a kawasaki tech do all the work on it which includes a new piston kit , cylinder sleeve , rings , baskets , crank seal , port inspection , reed cleaning , and a re jet back to factory settings. Final cost ......$710.00

Chris and Ron at rrp racing" www.rossiniracing.com" in stwartsville n.j. did the work and were totally honest ( unlike john at cycle pro in glen gardener n.j.) the guys at rrp said that my bike got a lot of complements and I was told that after all the repairs , it was faster then some of their race bikes .

Could not be more happier . Bike runs like it should now ! though I'm not a wide open , full throttle person . It's nice to know that its there if you need it.