Sign in to follow this  

1998 kx 125 clutch problem

Hi guys ,I'm new to all this forum stuff :thumbsup: but I need some help desperately.

I have been riding all most all my life but this is my first kawasaki ...bought it used less then 20 days ago , brought it to my local shop this past week to have it tuned up , jetted and gone over .other then being boggie, all is good or so I thought ! Bike checked out perfectly I was told .compression is 170 lbs, starts first kick , blah blah blah.

My problem is this : upon getting my bike back on Friday from shop , I gave it a test ride and it was fine , I road it that day for all of 20 minutes at the max . I locked it up that night , went to work when I came home Saturday morning , I decided to wash the bike because 4 days prior we were riding the old tracks in my town . I degreased the engine , hand washed the entire bike and put it away without ever starting it .today was a great day to ride , so we CHANGED THE OIL , loaded my bike and brought it to the riding spot.first kick and it started but as soon as I gave it gas , it started to bog out , backfire and I have not been able to re start it since .( running too rich after putting new jets in ) no problem , mechanic said to bring it back if I had problems....I also noticed now that I can't start it, that the clutch is not working ! If I put it in gear , pull the lever its staying in gear. ***.. the bike literally sat for one day and now the clutch ain't working ? I have not started the bike since Friday and today is Sunday . I tried a push start but I guess its running too rich and killed my plug and also noticed that when I try to kick it over , the fuel filter is emptying with every few kicks so I took that off cleaned the plug out re installed it and it started but died before I was able to get it in gear or at the least , TRY ! I don't know what to do , never had this happen on any other bike. Could degreaser some how gotten into the clutch plate? Could the colder weather have a part in this ? Or is my clutch in need of new plates ? I used 10w 30 motor oil if that means anything ? I'm away from home with no tools at my friends house literally 3 houses away from my mechanics shop which ain't open till Tuesday .... NEW JERSEY SUCKS !!!!!

ANY FEED BACK WOULD HELP :ride:

Clutch does not function when engine is not running. That's just how a wet clutch operates, and that's what neutral is for. That part is a non-issue.

As for the sputtering and backfiring, perhaps you soaked your air filter when washing the bike? Install a new plug also. At a couple bucks for an NGK plug, I don't see the point in trying to clean one. That almost never works anyway. :thumbsup:

thanks juliend;

bike is going to the shop tomorrow so that they can re adjust the carb,the only reason i used the old plug is because my town shuts down after 5pm on sunday

as far at the clutch is concerned , shouldnt you be able to put it in gear , pull the clutch lever in so that a friend can give you a push start , then pop the clutch to get it started ?

if i do it in nutural , then i would have to slam the gear shifter into first gear, because the clutch lever is doing nothing , and if i had to come to a stop , then the bike would die because no matter how much you pull the lever in the bike stays in gear , because the clutch lever does nothing ......

guess ill find out sometime this week , ill keep u posted