Sign in to follow this  

Choke Issue

I haven't opened up my carb yet but on my 650r is seems to do nothing. I am going to need it pretty soon because it is starting to get cold out. Does anybody know what to look for or have a idea what it could be?

Thanks

Some body might have removed that little spring loaded flap in the middle of the choke plate.rumor has it the flap can come loose and go through the motor.xr's only makes a 1 piece choke flap kit.i leave my ign off,pull compression release,put choke on,full throttle on and kick through about 6 times.this primes the motor.then close throttle,turn on ign,hit tdc and kick hard.but i removed the little flap on my oem choke plate.going to install the xr's only plate soon-bike is going on lab2v.

2011-10-29103656.jpg

There is a picture of my choke plate. So there is supposed to have another plate over the half moon shape opening?

2011-10-29103656.jpg

There is a picture of my choke plate. So there is supposed to have another plate over the half moon shape opening?

Yes its meant to have a plate on a spring that shuts that opening, either the previous owner took it off or it fell off and trashed the motor and was rebuilt.

Well the PO did tell me that it had a new top end put in it last fall. Trying to decide what to do. I have heard that the XR's only plate doesnt do the best job and I have also seen that some people make their own.

More than likely somone removed the spring loaded backfire plate in fear that it would fail and be sucked into the engine. This is a problem on the XR600 and there are varying opions if it is a fail point on the xr650r if you search on here and other xr650r forums you will find several threads talking about it. I removed mine in fear that I would be the unlucky guy that learned the hardway. The trick to starting the bike if that has been done is to tip it to the right almost all the way down to cause the carb to flood ( basically you are priming the engine with the fuel ) hold it tipped for a count of three one thousand in temps around 60 and up and five one thousand for cooler temps increasing your count in cooler temps even more if needed, then as long as you have the proper pilot jet in it will start pretty well I keep mine in the shop so I typically am never starting it at a temp lowwer than 32 degrees. Some have noted that it is a theft deterent simply because if you do not know the process then you are never going to get it started. I actually always have to tip mine even in very warm temps 80 + degrees but for shorter time periods. Hope this helps

i have found that if you need new screws on the carb the hobby shops that have r/c car parts have a selection of nice hex head screws so you can ditch the old philips head screws.i removed my flapper and needed new screws.used red loctite on them.nice to learn about the tip over and flood carb trick to start.my bike has a hot cam #1 so no auto compression release.it has to be on a certian spot to kick.i am going to try an xr's only choke plate.

I have been leaning the bike over before I start it and it seems to help out a lot. I will see how it works once it gets really cold out. I have been reading a little about messing with the choke plate and it really scares me.

So when I was looking into fixes I saw that many people were worried about the screws that hold the plate on coming off and that you couldn't loctite them because they are too small. Well tonight at my car club meeting we had a Loctite rep come in. They make a loctite purple that is made for fasteners that are 1/4" or less.