Sign in to follow this  

Replacement chain adjusters

I tried to adjust my chain over the weekend, first time since getting the bike a few months ago (new to me 03). The locking nut would loosen, but the adjuster bolts on both sides would not loosen (tighten chain). I removed the rear wheel and used a socket to try to "loosen" the adjuster bolt - snap! the right side snapped flush with the swing arm. Tried to remove the left side and it snapped as well, except this one pertrudes about 1/16th. Didn't require a lot of torque either. Tried to drill but space is limited to get a straight on approach, and what little I was able to drill snapped a cobalt bit. So, to ride, I engineered a temp fix that actually works pretty well, but looking for a better fix, or at least an idea to get the broken bolts out. A friend told me about some aftermarket adjusters that go aft of the axle and actually pull on the axle blocks to tighten the chain. I can't seem to find them online. Looking for ideas.

For those interested, the fix was simple - a 5/16 bolt cut to size to fit where the broken adjuster is located. I cut down a piece of threaded hex spacer the same size as the threads on the bolt. I slipped it in place and expanded it to the desired chain tension. The 5/16 size was big enough to fit over the small piece of broken bolt sticking out of the swingarm. I don't think it will go anywhere, but just in case, I put a tie wrap around the swingarm just to keep it in place if it loosened. Simple but effective.

I recently went through this on another bike ... I drilled the bolts out completely - tapped the holes and used a threaded insert with the correct size inside thread. Threaded in new adjusters and used anti seize...