Sign in to follow this  

2000 CR 250R Woods Setup

All,

Getting ready to rebuild the suspension on my trusty backup bike. Forks are leaking rear shock has been half full for a while. Anyway I way 190lbs and probably 205lbs. with Gear. I ride primarily in the woods of Michigan with plenty of sand. Was hoping you guys could give me some spring suggestions before I order everything. I own a 2010 Husaberg FE 450 that I ride now so I have the time and a bike to ride so I would like to rebuild the shock and forks myself. I have totally rebuilt everything else on the Honda and was shying away because it was my primary bike until this year. I bought it from my brother who has the mechanical aptitude of a monkey about 2 years ago. (maybe that is giving him too much credit).

Also if I should change anything else out for the woods let me know. I already geared it down.

Thanks for any insight in advance!

Tim

My Mich. woods setup: 2001 cr250. Rekluse ( original version ) Gnarley, skidplate, light kit, (street legal) sapling smackers, fmf "q", just the basics, rebuilt the engine last winter.

Anyways, I think at your weight ,in the woods, you can use your stock springs. If you want to re-valve that's up to you. I put in heavier springs, front and rear about a two years ago. I"ve since lost 35lbs and I think I'm going back to stock front springs. The rear race sag still looks good so I"m not planning any changes there. I would not call myself an aggresive rider so this may not work for you. My rear spring is the stock spring that came with a 2000 drz400 that I use to own.

My Mich. woods setup: 2001 cr250. Rekluse ( original version ) Gnarley, skidplate, light kit, (street legal) sapling smackers, fmf "q", just the basics, rebuilt the engine last winter.

Anyways, I think at your weight ,in the woods, you can use your stock springs. If you want to re-valve that's up to you. I put in heavier springs, front and rear about a two years ago. I"ve since lost 35lbs and I think I'm going back to stock front springs. The rear race sag still looks good so I"m not planning any changes there. I would not call myself an aggresive rider so this may not work for you. My rear spring is the stock spring that came with a 2000 drz400 that I use to own.

I have a 00 cr250 and i cant find a proper lighting setup. What are you using stator, light, taillight, battery setup?

Here is my woods setup on my 2001 cr250. Re-valved the forks myself according to race tech specs, w/ their gold valve kit. re-valved the rear on my own based on a lengthy discussion about a crf 450 I found on this site. Stock spring rates, I weigh 215 with gear. Put a clarke over-sized tank on it, full wrap bark busters, full skid plate, pipe guard with the fmf gnarly pipe and forestry-approved PC silencer. I have it geared 13/52, and am running steel clutch plates. I love the bike in the woods. Lots of power, fairly light, goes through anything. I highly recommend doing the suspension asap, it is pretty nasty stock in the woods. They are awesome woods bikes depsite being designed for motocross, just takes a few mods and you're there!

I have a 00 cr250 and i cant find a proper lighting setup. What are you using stator, light, taillight, battery setup?

I picked up my parts at Steahly Offroad. You know, the flywhweel place. Go to the web sight or give them a call. They helped me out. I did pick up my Elextrex lighting coil through a local Craigslist add $50 bucks. Steahly still show they carry a coil. Around $110 I think. You could also go to an all battery setup. Just enough battery to get you legal. Give enduro enginering a call if you want to go that route.