Sign in to follow this  

Getting a bike ready to sell.

Toying with the idea of selling my 2007 300 for a newer 200 or 250. Do you get enough extra $$$ to justify the cost of replacing parts? Specifically, the sprockets, chain and tires are nearing the point of needing replacement. Is there any value to replacing the plastics? A new top end? (160 hours) The bike is in good condition and runs strong, but I am wondering if the cost of the improvements will warrant enough of an increase in sales price to justify it.

Whats the concensus out there on this situation? My inclination is to sell "as is" and let the purchaser take those items into consideration. Seems like every bike on the market is claimed to be "just rebuilt", but pricing is close across the board. Thanks for any feedback.

:thumbsup:

It's going to be hard to sell a bike, that frankly sounds a bit worn out, for even decent money.

I recently bought a car that needed some work and I can tell you my policy on this subject is I basically take the cost of repairs and double that, and that is coming out of the sales price.

Also, your potential pool of buyers is much reduced because frankly a lot of people are not interested in working on something they just bought.

What I have found is that having a bike that is ready to go will sell much faster, easier than one that isn't. It also makes the buyer question the condition of the things they can't see. I don't worry about tires as much since preferences vary so much.

I sold my 05 with it only needing a topend in a few months. I discounted the price to reflect that when negotiating. The bike looked sharp otherwise, and still ran well too.

If I can spruce one up fairly cheaply and it doesn't need much, then I will do it. I am in the same boat with this 65. Doesn't really need much, but some inexpensive graphics off ebay will go a long way to selling the bike quicker.

Bearings are cheap, graphics are cheap if you look around.

A good tear down and thorough cleaning doesn't hurt either.

I sold my bike (450R) needing a rear chain guide, brakes, and sprockets soon. I do not believe you'll get all the money back you put in. The parts wern't completly gone, but around 75% gone. Bikes need parts all the time.

I say clean it super good, and tell the buyer it may need a top end soon. Be honest, but if a buyer can't see the visable "wearable" items are getting low then it's your lucky day :thumbsup:.

Price fair, be honest, sell as-is. That's how I do it.

I sold my bike (450R) needing a rear chain guide, brakes, and sprockets soon. I do not believe you'll get all the money back you put in. The parts wern't completly gone, but around 75% gone. Bikes need parts all the time.

I say clean it super good, and tell the buyer it may need a top end soon. Be honest, but if a buyer can't see the visable "wearable" items are getting low then it's your lucky day :thumbsup:.

Price fair, be honest, sell as-is. That's how I do it.

I agree.

But, it is also about marketing. When I am selling something, I am usually wanting it gone. I want the buyer to choose my bike over someone else's and am willing to spend a little to sway their decision. It also helps me sell with confidence and usually gets me more $$ than I would otherwise. I have usually been able to get what I put in or more out of the bike.

Thanks for the comments. After some thought, I believe that I will go ahead and replace the plastics, graphics and make any other replacements as needed over the next few months and then get serious about selling and buying after the holidays.

Maybe if I make these improvements, the itch to buy a new bike will pass. :ride:

I might even get a chance to ride Gmoss' 200 now that he has it set up and then I will have a better sense if a 200 is what I really want. :thumbsup: On paper, the 200 seems to fit what I am looking for. I like the idea of mild to wild power band and flickablility.

I spent the weekend in WV riding with a group. One of the guys was riding on new to him 200 and he was having a blast on it. I did not get a chance to ride the 200, but I did sit on it, lay it over and pick up on the back and it felt lighter than my 300. Could have been my imagination.

Definitely don't buy new tires, chains/ sprockets. That's around $300 right there and will maybe get you $100 more than without.

Buy the cheapest parts that will make the bike look clean.

-If your bars are totally bent, buys some cheap $40 ones

-If your graphics/plastics are thrashed, lightly sand any scratches and use brake/carb clean to remove those tuff grease/oil marks. Buy a cheap graphics kit for under $100.

Just clean the bike really good, armor all the tires not the plastics and seat!!!!!!!!!!

IMO one the of most important things is getting people even interested in calling or looking at your bike, so make the ad good ex. big HD photo's!!!!!

Any time you are ready to give it a scoot, let me know. Come get it and take it for a day if you want.

Chain and sprockets aren't that bad if you do one of the PD kits from RMMC. Unless the tires are worn slap out, I wouldn't worry about them either.

I think the biggest thing is making sure it's in sound mechanical order, and looks good, aesthetics and mechanically.

Also, waiting till after the holidays is not a good time unless you plan on waiting till spring. Not much of a bike market right after Christmas.

Keep in mind it is a 300 and i dont care what condition its in ( good is best of course), they sell very quickly. hard to find when you want one and easy to sell. its probably the easiest dirt bike to sell IMHO

Joe

I just always make sure anything I sell is super clean and am honest about any issues. This is true of everything I've sold as is on Craigslist,from rototillers and dirtbikes to used gear and a breast pump. Yes I actually just wrote the words breast pump on a dirt bike forum.Lol I also post a little higher number than I actually want to get. Everyone feels better about buying something if they are able to haggle you down a bit.