Sign in to follow this  

Shock Preload Ring Cross-Thread help?

Ok so I just purchased an 04 yz250 and Im in the process of regreasing all the bearings and I try to back the top preload ring and its barely moving I see its cross threaded anyone know what to do?

Same happened with one of mine, they get dirt in the threads and end up cross threading,

I took mine to an engineering company who cut the threads clean enough to remove the spring(compressed the spring to take load off the preload rings),

The threads were not good enough to have to have the pressure of the spring on again so I had him make up two spacers so the pre load rings would sit above where the damaged threads were,

If they are too damaged you may have to buy a new shock body

if you can get the spring off, you may have some luck with a metric thread file. been there done that; and, it worked as long as not too many of the shock body threads are messed up.

Pull the shock off the bike and put it in a vice, spray the living crap out of the threads with PB Blaster and heat up the ring with a blow torch so it gets nice and hot. The heat will expand the ring just a tiny bit and you should be able to turn it. Obviously you want to loosen it when you get it working, just enough so you can take the base off and get the spring off.

Another thing you can try is to borrow someone's spring compressor and see if you can compress the spring enough to get it off. We use to do that on our roadracing bikes, haven't tried it on a MX shock, but its the same stuff.

I would recommend to use a spring compressor and remove the spring. Then you will have to precisely cut off the preload adjuster rings 180degree's apart and remove the rings. I have done it many times. If you take your time you can cut about 85% of the way through and then hit it at an angle with a hammer and chisel and it will snap and not hurt the threads any further.

Ok, Im going to put an order in for a new ring and I will remove the spring like you all said and then take an angle grinder just before the threads 180 degrees apart and then use a hammer, Thanks for the help and I will post an update on how it went!

I compressed the spring, cut off my old adjusting nut and am cleaning up the threads, hopefully this works. Does anyone know how to put the new adjusting nut on?

If you need a spare shock body, I can hook you up with one. I've got two spares that I've got sitting around for my bike