Sign in to follow this  

sl 125 square head light?

I have a sl 125 with a square headlight. is this not factory? can't find one anywere. also the vin tag is half gone and i can't find the year. anyway to identify?

putting them on photo bucket. while i wait what years did they make the sl 125? from what i can find it's 71,72,73,

putting them on photo bucket. while i wait what years did they make the sl 125? from what i can find it's 71,72,73,

That's it for the 125 71-73. 1974 began the XL models. I believe they made the 100 in 70. As far as I know they all had round head lights. Looking forward to the pics. I am going to be putting a lightsource on the front of my little 71 SL125 in the coming weeks and looking for options.

Engine serial number can probably be decifered by someone here to give you a build date. Also if you have the original paint that can narrow it down.

H aka RRR

COOTER has visted your bike and hacked on some POS headlight. That is NOT stock. They were round. ROUND. All SL's were ROUND. and they were all 6V. This is one of Cooters favorite things to do to vintage bikes HACK up the wiring.

COOTER has visted your bike and hacked on some POS headlight. That is NOT stock. They were round. ROUND. All SL's were ROUND. and they were all 6V. This is one of Cooters favorite things to do to vintage bikes HACK up the wiring.

Motosprtman is a purist when it comes to these bikes and thank the good Lord for that. He has been a huge help with my little SL 125. My vin tag denotes it as a SL 125S and has a build date of 2/71 and my title backs that up. Also my frame is silver and yours is black so I am going to hazard a guess that yours is not the same year as mine. I'm sure it can be narrowed even further. If you have any original painted parts that may help, different years = different color schemes, but probably with some overlap.

As for the headlight. It's your choice, but round looks much better. That being said, I am jelouse that you still have all the mounting hardware. I got nothing with mine no instruments, no headlight, no mounting ears, no handle bar controls, no tail light.......nothing. You're far ahead of me.

Good luck and hope that the headlight is all cooter hacked up. I had to replace the entire wiring harness.

H

aka RRR

The Headligth most likely come off 3 wheeler like Honda ATC 90 or 110 or possable newer Honda 4 wheeler.

Yes all 1971 silver frame 72, 73 come black

The Frist two number tell the year

Serial 10 = 1971

Serial 11 = 1972

Serial 12 = 1973

Edited by shspvr

thanks for all of your help. got every thing figured out. it's a 73. got a new head light and light bucket ordered. got the bike tore down and cleaned up just waiting on parts!