Sign in to follow this  

My wheels have leprosy...

This past spring my wheels have started to corrode for some reason? Now it's hideous and I want to sell my truck, but this is not attractive to any future buyers. I have seen other truck's wheels like this around (rare, but is similar).

BTW, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport.

wheel2.jpg

th_wheel1.jpg

Chrome or aluminum with clear coat? If aluminum with clear coat, use tal-strip to remove the clear coat on them (off and away from the truck) then alumibrite them and then polish. they will look ten times better and somewhat mask the corrosion.

Chrome or aluminum with clear coat? If aluminum with clear coat, use tal-strip to remove the clear coat on them (off and away from the truck) then alumibrite them and then polish. they will look ten times better and somewhat mask the corrosion.

I believe they are aluminum. Thanks for the advice, it sounds like a lot of work. lol

No, your wheels has salt corrosion.

I live in Northern Illinois, what doesn't have salt corrosion? :thumbsup:

I enjoyed living in Colorado where they didn't use that God awful idea of salt on the roads.

I live in Northern Illinois, what doesn't have salt corrosion? :thumbsup:

I enjoyed living in Colorado where they didn't use that God awful idea of salt on the roads.

We havent had it for years. Then several winters ago, a bunch of weenies in Seattle were crippled with a snow storm and they whined like liberals do so well, now we see lots more of that salt stuff on the roads in winter. I am a technician and can really see the difference on the underside of cars now. It is so destructive to a car.

We havent had it for years. Then several winters ago, a bunch of weenies in Seattle were crippled with a snow storm and they whined like liberals do so well, now we see lots more of that salt stuff on the roads in winter. I am a technician and can really see the difference on the underside of cars now. It is so destructive to a car.

if people actually drove half sensible when there's a bit of snow we wouldn't need salt. Makes me sick to see the damage it does.

if people actually drove half sensible when there's a bit of snow we wouldn't need salt. Makes me sick to see the damage it does.

That makes way too much sense. :thumbsup:

The key is to wash them once in a while. A $5 automated car wash with an underbody blast makes all the difference in the world.

Our Saturn is 10 years old with 140k miles on it, and it has some surface rust on the undercarriage members (frame cradle, rear diff brackets, etc), but for the most part, is very clean. It gets run through the wash once a week whether it needs it or not.

My Dad bought a 2011 GMC all terrain when they first came out. All 4 wheels were replace last month due to corrosion. Thank God for warranty - GM would have charged $5200 for 4 wheels that last under 1 year. Got him looking for aftermarkets for when the second set rots out in another year.

The key is to wash them once in a while. A $5 automated car wash with an underbody blast makes all the difference in the world.

Our Saturn is 10 years old with 140k miles on it, and it has some surface rust on the undercarriage members (frame cradle, rear diff brackets, etc), but for the most part, is very clean. It gets run through the wash once a week whether it needs it or not.

I try too, but when it's freezing temps for weeks at a time I don't want to wash it. I did that once and everything was frozen shut. lol

I try too, but when it's freezing temps for weeks at a time I don't want to wash it. I did that once and everything was frozen shut. lol

Spray the locks out with WD, before and after washing, and take a towel to wipe out the door jams after exiting the wash.

I love having a heated garage.:busted: