Waiting on out 2012 RMZ250s

My wife and I placed an order, about 4 weeks ago, a pair of 2012 RMZ250s. However, the dealer can't even give us a date on when we'll receive them. So far all we've gotten is Dec. 2011 or Jan. 2012. It's not the dealerships fault, but the wait is killing us. :ride: BTW, the wife has decided she wanted to get the RMZ250 as her first bike. I hope we made a good decision. :worthy:?

thats awesome!!! well... not the waiting part, but hope you got a deal for the pair!? the suspension will take a bit to break-in so recheck your sag after a couple hours of riding, only other thing i would suggest is for you wifes bike, plug in the "mellow" map to calm down the bark off idle (not sure if this is the rich or lean plug). hope you both get ridding soon

My wife and I placed an order, about 4 weeks ago, a pair of 2012 RMZ250s. However, the dealer can't even give us a date on when we'll receive them. So far all we've gotten is Dec. 2011 or Jan. 2012. It's not the dealerships fault, but the wait is killing us. :ride: BTW, the wife has decided she wanted to get the RMZ250 as her first bike. I hope we made a good decision. :worthy:?

I hope your wife has some riding background otherwise she may get intimidated with the race bike, and that kills the fun. A ttr, crf-f or klx is a good choice for the wives, ttr has electric start!! forget about her starting the rmz250, hardest starting 250f ive ever owned. dont want to be a downer but if you havent taken delivery yet, you may want to find what suits her best

Thanks for the nice replies. We went to a dealership which had all brands and different models like you had mentioned. After looking at the other models she wanted a race bike. I'm not surprised since it matches her personality. I'll help her the starting and work her into learning all of that. She was a bit intimidated by the seat height, however the more she sat on the different models she got more comfortable. Is there a safe way of lowering the seat height without sacrificing the handling? Thanks again for the responses.

Thanks for the nice replies. We went to a dealership which had all brands and different models like you had mentioned. After looking at the other models she wanted a race bike. I'm not surprised since it matches her personality. I'll help her the starting and work her into learning all of that. She was a bit intimidated by the seat height, however the more she sat on the different models she got more comfortable. Is there a safe way of lowering the seat height without sacrificing the handling? Thanks again for the responses.

Your waiting so long because Suzuki is hardly importing many bikes just like last year, they are onloy importing what they think they can sell. You can get a lowering link for a couple hundred bucks. I doubt your wife with the limited experience she has would even know the difference. It will just sit a bit lower. It would sure help her out though. Also set the idle to around 2200 rpm it helps with starting. cheers. Very impressive motor stock btw. Hopefully she doesnt whiskey throttle it over backwards Braaap lol

hardest starting 250f ive ever owned

which year rmz did you own? my 2011 starts absolutely fine.

hekimpd, metal has a point about the bike posibly beeing a handful, these are RACE bikes afterall so they require an agresive approach, this will take some getting used to for your wife. the 2012 is a slightly updated machine from the 2011, the reason they dont import many is due to market research: suzuki's have been selling not been selling very much the last couple of years, and now that they have a really great bike the marketing department bases its importing on the previouse year. in 2008/09 suzuki imported too many and couldnt sell them due to the start of our economic situation. in europe their fairly readily available because the brand loyalty here is not NEAR as strict as in the US.

The fact that your dealer is even able to get you 2 250f's is shocking to me. I race for a local shop(local expert, trying for pro-card) and they were only allowed 1 450 and 1 250f from suzuki for the ENTIRE YEAR, they were told that if they wanted more they would have to source them from other dealers. So this may be why it's taking so long. The only dealers that get more then 1 of each without dealer trading are dealerships that ONLY sell suzuki. That being said, I've had both of my 2012's since September 15th

I think you made an excellent choice! Having to order only gives you bonus time to pick up some riding skills videos (like what Gary Scemic's offers) and it gives you a chance to check out where you will be riding, plus you'll have extra time to buy riding equipment. And, while the RMZ is a "race bike" it's also a four stroke which means that it will be far easier to ride than say ... any 125, 144 or 150 two stroke. Yes, it will be hard to start at first but as they break in and you two perfect the starting drill, you'll be fine as it does get easier.

The biggest bonus is that you are buying the bike that "she" likes! That will pay huge dividens in her desire to learn how to ride (like any new rider experiences). That's because if she crashed on a bike that she didn't like she might blame the bike and refuse to ride it ~ I've seen that.

Seriously, your going to be fine. Enjoy your new bikes once they come in, and next summer your going to have an awesome year!

As for lowering it, as long as her speed is on the "non-agressive" side then try pulling the forks up in the triple clamps to where they are about a ½" above the top clamp. Then cheat the rear sag some and set it to about 4½". Beyhond that your going to need to have the suspension professionally shortened. But that set up should help until she's "up to speed" then you'll need to put everything back and set it up correctly.

Are you two racing or trail riding??

My wife and I placed an order, about 4 weeks ago, a pair of 2012 RMZ250s. However, the dealer can't even give us a date on when we'll receive them. So far all we've gotten is Dec. 2011 or Jan. 2012. It's not the dealerships fault, but the wait is killing us. :busted: BTW, the wife has decided she wanted to get the RMZ250 as her first bike. I hope we made a good decision. :bonk::busted:

If she decides its not for her, now you have a practice bike and a dedicated race bike.

I've had a 85 yz125, 89 cr250r and a 02 cr250r through the years going to open practices and racing C class. However,that was some time ago.;-) But I have a bit of seat time on race bikes and even though the rmz is a race bike its pretty forgiving. She's super excited and wants to go to the track as soon as she's comfortable. Again thanks for all the responses.

BTW, coming from 2strokes, how often does the topend need to be rebuilt? Also the Suzuki rep was at the dealership at the time we placed our order, so that was how we were able to reserve two.

how often does the topend need to be rebuilt?

it depends on your riding style, basically it lasts "twice" as long as your old 2t, ive got 36 hours on my bike now and ive only had to adjust the valves a bit, and plan on a piston at 50hours :busted: (i get a lot of heat for this but its been working for me since my 09 rmz riding at a mid-pack b level and no mods)

The fact that your dealer is even able to get you 2 250f's is shocking to me. I race for a local shop(local expert, trying for pro-card) and they were only allowed 1 450 and 1 250f from suzuki for the ENTIRE YEAR, they were told that if they wanted more they would have to source them from other dealers. So this may be why it's taking so long. The only dealers that get more then 1 of each without dealer trading are dealerships that ONLY sell suzuki. That being said, I've had both of my 2012's since September 15th

what shop do you ride for? pompton honda on 23 can get them. rusty palmers in PA can get them too. along with some others. i beleive cycle motion can too. not bashing just curious what shop ur talking about

as for the 2012s, your gonna love the bikes! i have a 2011 (same bike) and absolutely love it

I've had a 85 yz125, 89 cr250r and a 02 cr250r through the years going to open practices and racing C class. However,that was some time ago.;-) But I have a bit of seat time on race bikes and even though the rmz is a race bike its pretty forgiving. She's super excited and wants to go to the track as soon as she's comfortable. Again thanks for all the responses.

BTW, coming from 2strokes, how often does the topend need to be rebuilt? Also the Suzuki rep was at the dealership at the time we placed our order, so that was how we were able to reserve two.

This brings up an excellent point, which is that "right now" you should buy two hour meters and then install them as soon as you get the bikes home. Don't even start them until you install the meters. Then put together a log book on each bike (keep the logs separate!) and track your maintenance (oil changes etc.).

As for rebuilds, well, it depends on how often you hit the rev limiter. Which really means that rebuilds depend on how hard you ride it. If you take it easy, it's possible to get a couple hundred hours out of a top end. Then again, if you are really running it hard then it'll be more like 30 to 50 hours.

This brings up an excellent point, which is that "right now" you should buy two hour meters and then install them as soon as you get the bikes home. Don't even start them until you install the meters. Then put together a log book on each bike (keep the logs separate!) and track your maintenance (oil changes etc.).

As for rebuilds, well, it depends on how often you hit the rev limiter. Which really means that rebuilds depend on how hard you ride it. If you take it easy, it's possible to get a couple hundred hours out of a top end. Then again, if you are really running it hard then it'll be more like 30 to 50 hours.

there was a time i got laughed at when i said that a bike can last 100+ hours on a topend!!!

as Zig said, if you keep up on maintenance and don't wring the living piss out of the bike all the time it should last you a long time. back in my Honda days (when i was slower) i used to change pistons around 40 hours and the darn thing barely wore the color off the skirt. ever since ive steadily improved on the bike (bike gets ridden harder) since my Honda days and ive been changing pistons at 50hours without any issues, valves lasted me 100+hours on the RMZ (something that the crf could only dream of)

• 2 weeks later...
its worth the wait hints my name on here. the break in on the bike was rough for me. but stick through it.

its funny you mention this, i HATED the bike on break in, so stiff and weird handling. but after about 3 hours i set the sag (this was WAAAY off for me), drained 15cc oil from the forks, thightened the steering stem nut a bit and got the clickers where i wanted them made a world of difference. i still am struggling a bit with the fork though.