250f handling vs 2stroke?

im a fan of both bikes even though i haven't rode the 150sx, I am very satisfied with the '11 rmz250, and stock it provides an excellent platform for improvement since the handling is so darn good.

a 2T on the other hand is a very fun bike to ride and will teach you good dirtbike skills, like carrying your momentum and keeping the gas on. i would never give back my zook though...

to fender: i thought that it had fairly good top end, even with the stock pipe. it revs a lot further than my Honda's did!

I have only experienced 2010 RMZ. It's a sweet turning bike but it feels a bit unfair to compare it to my 2008 144SX. Little KTM is so much better in corners and I can only imagine how good is 2012 model. The bike just loves turning. You don't fight the bike like you do with 4-strokes. I washed out CRF million times and just couldn't gel with it no matter what I did to suspension. With KTM all the "demons" are gone from first lap. And the brembo brakes are excellent too. I have the KTM for few weeks only so can't say too much but it's definitely worth of trying.

RMZ finds traction everywhere over the 150sx and has far more torque. Off camber turns are where you will really notice the tractability of the 250f. 150 requires alot more rider input to keep the bike gripping everywhere and makes all its power in its beefy topend. It has very little bottom end though. 2t are great fun and an excellent training platform. I'm currently looking at an 08 rm 125 to go with my 11 rmz250 so I don't clock so many hours on the rmz. I did 80 hours on my 2010 in 6 months and I had a ktm 200 that I was riding every 2nd or 3rd ride.

Anyone ever had an rm125? What are they like?

Thanks for all the replies...fyi, i`m coming off a 08 144sx converted to a 200, only thing i dislike is headshake it gets occasionally. I`d like to try a 4stroke but i`m a bit leary about going from something i can put together without looking at a manual to something that is more complicated, has the added electrical complexity, and costs more money.

ive also "heard" of transmission problems on RMZ's but speaking from 34hours of experience on my 11 their hasnt been ANY problem with the transmission or anything else for that matter. ill ive done is change the oil and filters till now and ill probobly get another 30hours from the thing before a top end will need to be done (here comes the criticism that i dont ride hard enough :busted:)

fact is that i dont really get the financial aspect of owning a 2t beeing much cheaper... coming off of an 05 yz125 in the past, i was doing top ends around every 20-25hours (thats risking failure) yeah their A LOT easier to do but the bottom ends are pretty much the same deal and youl be doing them at about the same intervals if not a little longer on the 4t. when i you do the math:

2T in 100 hours: -topend apprx. 100 X 5 top ends (every 20hours) = $500, bottom end (hot rods) 2 X 180 = $260. Tranny oil $15/L (every 5 hours is 25 oil changes) being about 18L so 15 X 18 = 270, premix $15/L @ 1:35mix and 7L/hour consumption you get 20L premix/100hours=$300

Total=$1330

4T in 100 hours: -Topend $180 X 2 = $260, Bottom end (hot rods) once in 100 hours = $240, oil $15/L (every 5 hours is 25x1.1L=27L)=$405 valves(oem)+seats cut=$450, timing chain=40

Total=$1395

so i guess its not THAT much more, the only thing is if you dont stay on top of things a catastrophic failure on a 4t will cost more due to the moving parts involved in the failure. but if you keep up on maintenance it shouldnt be much more than your 2T

The people we know running rmz 250's are pulling the transmissions before they race them and under cutting the gears so the dogs carry the load evenly. Most are also cryo treating them and having them treated.

You are pushing your luck going 50 hours on a top end and 100 hours on a crank in a 250f, especially if you are running it hard. I would also worry about valve springs going 50 hours much less 100 hours.

It happens, bikes go 100+ hours with little preventative mantenance, but it is risky if you are racing motocross. If you follow anything close to recommended maintenance 4 stroke is way more expensive to race than a 2 stroke.

i cant speak for the "people you know" only for myself coming off of the 09 and now the 11. the bike has been AS reliable (if not more reliable) than any bike ive owned before (transmission included). you also missed the point completely, (the above post was riding at my level) if your faster (or more abusive to your bike) youl go through parts more often on BOTH BIKES!!! my point was to show that the difference in 4T and 2T maintenance costs isnt that substantial.

With Suzuki cutting most of its racing budgets and dropping most of its support and the issues of transmission failures in the RMZ 250, I would consider another brand of 250f or just get the KTM 150.

Transmission failures??? you mean the yelling of a few were the hundreds of good tranys set quietly.... We've had 4 RMZ all with good transmissions... I'm not this lucky

Transmission failures??? you mean the yelling of a few were the hundreds of good tranys set quietly.... We've had 4 RMZ all with good transmissions... I'm not this lucky

:busted: couldn't have said it any better :busted:

Ive also owned 2 RMZ's and they have been nothing but good to me

I've always had to use the hot start to get them lit when hot (obviously). but i also found that kicking them over hard doesn't help getting them started (cold or hot), you just need a nice consistent "speed" if this makes any sense, to get power from the generator to run your injector pump.