Sign in to follow this  

should i send my suspension out??

Ok so I have a 2009 yzf250, I just picked it up 6months ago, the suspension feels good, idk what the spring rate is yet, im a 160lbs, and everything feels good, the only problem Im having is getting enough pop off the lip of some doubles, I try to get the speed but the pop just doesn't get me to the landing, I don't know if I wanna send the, out, or just see if I can mess with the dials, any kind of help on this would be great. Thanks

set your sag in the shock first. then, set all of the clickers to their stock settings. you'll find out what you should adjust first. you're very close to the stock spring rates. use the clickers to dial it in as much as you can. make sure your tire pressures are correct. tighten the spokes. align the front end. go to moto-pro suspension site for the tech article to align the front end. make sure the linkage is working/serviced. this is all free, and you'd be amazed what you'll learn about the bike. if after all that, the suspension seems bad. send it out. the more info. you arm yourself with, the better the tuner can get your setup correct.

Thanks alot man, another question, what do you mean align the front end, is that just making sure everything is even on both forks? Not really sure

go to the moto-pro website. it shows you how to set the front up so the forks/wheel are not binding. basically it's an axle alignment proceedure. if it binds in the lower right fork lug. but read the article, it's a good start.

Not getting enough "boost" off the jump faces is usually directly connected with too soft of a setup. Usually not dampening either, usually directly with spring rate. Boost is generated by the loading up of the suspension both front and rear, but believe it or not, the rear effects boost MORE then the front. The act of the rear "re-bounding" has a tremendous effect on how you sail through the air. If the rebound is too much, it won't have much boost, too little and it might put you straight down into the dirt, never tried it! LOL

First thing I'd do is get your rear sag set.

Static (just the bike sitting) 34 - 37mm

Loaded (you and the bike) 100 - 106mm

I'd also measure the forks, give them a good push down and only measure loaded sag which should be roughly 60mm +/- 5mm.

If your sag numbers are OK, then your forks/shock need to be re-built, it could be the valving isn't working at all due to bad oil. People forget that every 20 - 40 hours, or every year, the oil needs to be changed. If its not changed, the oil's viscosity changes and it won't pass correctly through the valves. The end result is either gummy suspension or sometimes it just feels dead because its so thick, it can't get sucked up and into the proper areas to function in the fork.