Sign in to follow this  

First bike.

Hello got a dilemma here, my nephew is four and want to start riding a motorbike and i have to options.

Either a CRF50 because i prefer Honda and the horizontal engine is the most reliable engine in the 50 area, and also because i want him to get and idea for gears on a bike and i know some people are going to say that its better to start on a automatic but he already has an idea on how it works so i would like to get that.

Or a KX65, which i know is a bit too much for a first bike but i was thinking that with some modification and preying that maybe he will learn to use that better because once he has been on the CRF for a few months he will be bored of it.

I have an old Honda MT50 from my youth that i use to go to work on and i was going to teach him clutch take off on that with me sitting on the back.

Just looking for ideas but i will just say that maitenece and things just arent a issue because i am a motor mechanic and love wrenching on bikes and cars so thats not a problem and i dont want a KTM 65 due to not being a dealer near by.

Thank you very much for reading this.

Oh and BTW we will be riding Enduro to begin with and then see if he like motocross and i do both (recently purchased XR400, CRF450x and Crf250R).:thumbsup:

i wouldnt put him a 65..they can be a handful..maybe a crf50, KTM50 or one ofthe older xr fat tire50's? if he's big enough a crf/xr 70 might be in order!

Go for the Honda 50. Do not put a little one on the KX65. Our son is eight and we just bought him a KX65.

CRF50's are great bikes. I don't think your 4 year old will out-grow anytime soon.

You can modify the suspension on the honda and can keep for years.

i started riding when i was four, pw50 then when i was 7 i went to a 65 and it was still too much for me when i outgrew it... sold it this year, and rode it before i sold it, i was scared.. lightswitch powerband... might be a tad to much for him, but hey if you think he's capable then go for it!