Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys, just joined, I have an LTR 450 and am selling it, I was wondering what bike to get, but wasn't sure, could I fit on a 250? I'm 17, weigh about 160 lb and am about 5 foot 8 inches. Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

Might be a tad too short but im sure on tip toes you will be alright and in four years time you could be 6'2 so would be a good investment.

That's what I thought, i've had my 450, but wasn't sure on the difference in power, and seat height :-)

Either one is fine. Both are fun bikes. It depends how skilled you are i guess. Right now the only two manufacturers that you listed that are making 2-strokes are KTM and Yamaha. Go with whatever one because you will not be disappointed. Are you looking at trails or mx. Judging by the Ltr450 it is mx so either sx or yz model will do fine.

Yeah, I have a track at my house, but ride in the woods aswell, I was just curious, could I ride a 250 with the experience I have, because of the 250 being 2 stroke the power-band kicks alot more than my 450 would, but because the seat is quite high, and the experieclnce i've had on a bike, I wasn't sure if a 250 would be the best bike to have Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

It depends on your budget as well, can you afford a newer KTM...or are you looking at older Japanese bikes? 5'8" is kind of short for a 250 or 450. Keep in mind that its a real bitch to start a bike on the trail when you can barely reach the ground. If your budget allows, get a KTM 250 EXC/XC and have the best of both worlds.

I do mainly do mx though, so I want an mx bike, just what, and whether I can touch the floor on a 250, and whether I can hold on easily. Maybe a 125 is better for me

250s and 125s have about the same seat height.

This is true.

You arent going to be able to reach the ground on a 125 any easier than a 250. If you are riding mostly MX, the 125 may be ok, but its not an ideal trail bike...the lack of low end power makes technical trail riding difficult.

I have a 31.5 inside leg, which is quite short, could I fit on either of them?

Yes, with some KISS platform shoes.

Seriously, a 31.5 inseem doesnt sound short for your height...but you may have to adjust the suspension. Worse case, you could lower the bike, but may not be necessary.

Ok thanks, would it just be boots i'd need, or should I shave the seat, amd maybe lower the suspension? Thanks :thumbsup:

I'm about 5'8" and I have no problem withe height of the bike. My dads 250 is about an inch shorter on seat height, my 125 feels taller. Look up the seat heights for different models if you are still worried about height. If you are still growing like me then just ride it till you grow.

Okay, cheers, are the old cr250s any good, like around 2000 ish theres a fairly cheap one I know of, what were them bikes like? Thanks :thumbsup:

The 2000 and 2001 had very strong motors but they had the 2nd Gen frame which did not handle as well as the 3rd Gen frame. The 3rd Gen frame, 02 and up had weak motors with electronic powervalves. The 3rd Gen with time and money is a great bike when it is tuned right.