Sign in to follow this  

xr250 fork convertion to cr250 forks question

i have a 86 xr250 and am looking to upgrade my front suspension, hopefully the inexpensive route. i can get a rewally good buy on front end off a 88 cr250 triple tree down to front tire. do you know if this would fit the xr frame?

after doing some parts research the steering bearings are called out as the same part numbers. but the triples are different. if one does a conversion such as this and needs to add spacers is that common? or should i just swap out steering stems in the triples? if i go with making spacers what do you make them out of?? all input appreciated. thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

running a spacer, is that a bad idea? I dont see a prob with it but then again if i knew all i wouldnt be askin all these dummy questions!!:thumbsup::smirk: What should they be made of? stack of washers?? tyhanks for the input.

1988 CR250 uses convetional forks. 1989 is the first year of the USD unit for Honda on the 250 and 500. 1990 for the 125s.

Get a newer set though. like 97+. Allballs makes a conversion bearing

If you install CR forks, or any MX forks, you will raise the front end about 2" unless you shorten the forks. but then you lose the extra travel of the MX forks. The best bang for the buck is to install Ractech emulators in your forks, about $160. Next best would be a set of 96-04 XR250 fork, they upgraded to a cartridge for damping. KYB 43s have been used on a lot of bikes thru the years with a variety of damping styles from rods like your 250 to cartridges (some with two clickers). My choice would be almost any fork (except early USDs) that have rebound and compression clickers. The compression clicker is in the bottom of the slider and the rebound clicker is on the fork cap ( the vent is moved off center), except some late USDs are reverse.

If you install CR forks, or any MX forks, you will raise the front end about 2" unless you shorten the forks. but then you lose the extra travel of the MX forks. The best bang for the buck is to install Ractech emulators in your forks, about $160. Next best would be a set of 96-04 XR250 fork, they upgraded to a cartridge for damping. KYB 43s have been used on a lot of bikes thru the years with a variety of damping styles from rods like your 250 to cartridges (some with two clickers). My choice would be almost any fork (except early USDs) that have rebound and compression clickers. The compression clicker is in the bottom of the slider and the rebound clicker is on the fork cap ( the vent is moved off center), except some late USDs are reverse.

There is no need to shorten the forks travel. A 120/100 rear tire with the shorter XR650L lower link or even shorter 96 and newer XR250R/L lower link. This will raise the rear about 1 1/4"-1 3/4" so you maintain geometry and gain ground clearance. I'm upgrading my XR650L to USD's so I swapped my XR650L cartridge fork, rear shock and lower link in my '88 XR250R and it works great. I can raise my forks for tight trails and raise them for high speeds. :busted:

:busted:

There is no need to shorten the forks travel. A 120/100 rear tire with the shorter XR650L lower link or even shorter 96 and newer XR250R/L lower link. This will raise the rear about 1 1/4"-1 3/4" so you maintain geometry and gain ground clearance. I'm upgrading my XR650L to USD's so I swapped my XR650L cartridge fork, rear shock and lower link in my '88 XR250R and it works great. I can raise my forks for tight trails and raise them for high speeds. :bonk:

:busted:

That's fine if you're over 6'. :busted:

I had my rear shock modified by removing a spacer to lengthen the travel. This balanced the upside down longer fork quite nciely. A decent suspension "guru" should know this mod for the pre 96 XR250 R