Sign in to follow this  

yz 250 for trails

Hi folks. I currently ride a KTM 4 stroke and was thinking about going down in weight to a yz250. I'm a C rider at best, so not looking to win any races. We ride technical trails, tight washout hillclimbs and through some rough rocky patches. I was thinking of putting a rekluse clutch and dropping down to a 52 tooth rear sprocket to give it more guts down low. Would this help it to be more trailable? I just don't want to make a mistake and jump on something I shouldn't here. Thanks for any advice.

Great trail bike. Lots of em around here. Rekluse and a flywheel weight for maximum tractability. I don't know if I'd go up in the rear sprocket though. You don't necessarily want lower gearing. Just the right gearing for the trails you ride.

ftr - I have both a 450EXC and a YZ250. Prefer the 450EXC for trail but mostly because of the suspension and I'm used to it. Use the YZ for track. If you're not so confident in your riding ability you might find the 4-stroke easier to ride in the tight stuff. YZ will be lighter but it's also a bit jumpier.

if anything go down a tooth or two on the rear sprocket and run a gnarly pipe....should give you a nice broad range of power down low for them tight sections....a fww is personal preferance...i dont like them but alot of other people do!

Hi folks. I currently ride a KTM 4 stroke and was thinking about going down in weight to a yz250. I'm a C rider at best, so not looking to win any races. We ride technical trails, tight washout hillclimbs and through some rough rocky patches. I was thinking of putting a rekluse clutch and dropping down to a 52 tooth rear sprocket to give it more guts down low. Would this help it to be more trailable? I just don't want to make a mistake and jump on something I shouldn't here. Thanks for any advice.

Put a 300 big bore kit in it as well and you have a beaut

I ride a 2010 KTM 400xcw and a 09 YZ250 set up for off-road. If you're looking for a new bike and "need" an excuse then by all means a YZ250 is a great choice. Light, all the good points of a two stroke.

My KTM is a fantastic great awesome off-road trail bike. It weighs a ton but rides light and the suspension is so good. If I was not looking to win any races I would probably save my money and stick with the 4 stroke but life is short and if you can afford it then get a YZ and do a few mods.

Another point to consider - you can ride the YZ on the track if you care to. It's tougher to ride the KTM on the track if you want to due to gearing, suspension, etc - that's why some of us have both. If you don't ever plan to ride track this is likely a non-issue.

I have a 540exc i use as a hard dualsport and a YZ. I MUCH prefer the YZ offroad and can ride a little MX and be happy. The suspension on the YZ suits my offroad needs far better than the KTM. I'm still learning to stop slowing down like i'm on the diesel for big hits. I can ride longer on the YZ which was half the reason i bought it.

...but for a slow C rider you may find the YZ stiff and too snappy unless you ride faster flowing terrain. I think the YZ suits an aggressive B rider and up unless modded quite a bit. At which point i believe an XC is better for most. If i rode tight technical stuff i would want something else but it would never be a big thumper!

I ride an 04 YZ250 for woods and trails. If you add the Rekluse and adjust the clutch to a softer engagment...or at least the standard engagment rate I think you will be very happy.

I wouldn't go with a 52 sprocket though...when I was a C rider, I went to the 51 and that was perfect, now that I am getting faster I need to go with the 50 so that the 1st and 2nd are a little faster and it gives me better top end speed.