Sign in to follow this  

Cam question

When you put on your cam and chain back on line up marks and tighten up cam caps are you suppose to be able to spin the cam at all with your hands? Because I can move it left until the lobe hits the exhaust rocker and I don't think it is normal. Do you think it is caused by the chain not on the chain guide correctly?

What are some symptoms of the cam chain not being on right? and i can rotate the cam about 30 degrees to the left(meaning towards handlebarsbars) but nothing to the right.

Sometimes the chain pops off the crank gear when you service the top end. It just rolls on the bottom at that point. Most of the time, you have to remove the left side cover to get it back on depending on how tight the little tab is on the bottom. Sometimes you can wiggle the chain back on.

the chain was not on correctly on the bottom

Edited by Trelex

Didn't you release the timing chain tensioner? The timing had to jump for the piston to hit the valves. Did it hit the intake or exhaust valves. Or did it only hit 1 valve?

I don't understand how you could rode it. It will not start when the chain is derailed.

Anyhow: I rebuild my topend this winter and had the same problem, the chain popped of the crank gear and I could rattle the chain around back and forth and sometimes it got stuck but it was definitely off the gear.

I managed to get it back on without removing the left side cover (which is a lot of work because you also have to remove the flightwheel I think).

Here is how I got it back on the gear: Remove the camshaft, ducktape a flashlight onto the frame so you can see what you are doing. Look from the top into the engine you can see the gear and the chain. Get something long and tin and stiff. I used a giant tie-wrap and guide the chain back onto the gear....it took me about 15 minutes to get it back on the gear.

Edited by fransn
You rode it?

the problem is the cam chain guide . this tinny sheet metal is not doing what it most do . make a stronger one and more tight to the chain so it cant come off the cranksprocket.