Sign in to follow this  

WHAT peice of equipment should i buy to build sx and mx track on my land,

I don't know if I want a bulldozer, excavator, payloader, tractor, what is the best one to own to get the most work done, I have a a large field, and id love some suggestions, what kind of dirt loads should I get delivered? How much? Should I rent the equipment vs buying it, any ideas would be nice, thanks

You need to rent to a dozer for a day or weekend to build the layout and push the dirt around. No other machine will do it as effectively. To maintain and build features, I would consider a bucket loader tractor. I use a Kubota b3030, which is smaller than most bucket loaders but it works well for my track, which is tight and rough. Some people would suggest a skidsteer or maybe a bigger bucket loader but I like my smaller tractor for how easy and comfortable it is to use.

If you have the money, buy a good dozer with ~80hp and learn to run it properly. They can do anything on the track if you are good. Plus its fast to rebuild/redesign the track periodically. Trust me, you'll get bored of any layout you build, and its nice having machinery that can change things quickly.

I've had three John Deere dozers, a 450B, a 450G and a 650G TC. Don't bother with the old dozers like the B, a good skid steer is faster. The 650G TC with the torque converter, foot controls, 100hp, and power shift transmission is my favorite by far; I can eat my dinner while I move a retarded amount of dirt and make pretty jumps and corners. You'd be looking at around $25,000 for one of those though...

You need to rent to a dozer for a day or weekend to build the layout and push the dirt around. No other machine will do it as effectively. To maintain and build features, I would consider a bucket loader tractor. I use a Kubota b3030, which is smaller than most bucket loaders but it works well for my track, which is tight and rough. Some people would suggest a skidsteer or maybe a bigger bucket loader but I like my smaller tractor for how easy and comfortable it is to use.

I think this is a great option. Dozers are so expensive and it seems somewhat useless to spend all that money and only have one use for the machine anyways. It sounds like you don't have a tractor. They can be used for so many things other than building a track. If you have a large yard to mow the b series kubota would be nice. If you have no intentions of mowing go for the bigger L series. Kubota's are nice tractors and for the price you can't beat them.

If you are a hardcore mechanic and very very patient, you could do it all with a bobcat but you'll have to be dedicated and talented. I've seen it done though. Flying Brians Backyard was a place in my neighborhood once. Gone now sadly :thumbsup:

If you are a hardcore mechanic and very very patient, you could do it all with a bobcat but you'll have to be dedicated and talented. I've seen it done though. Flying Brians Backyard was a place in my neighborhood once. Gone now sadly :thumbsup:

I'll second this mainly because skid loaders and tractors are more versatile for tasks other than just pushing dirt around. With some practice, a decent sized skid loader with a skilled operator at the controls can really get some work done.

I see you're in VT...skidloaders or a small tractor are very handy for snow removal too.

A skidloader wins in my book because it can actually be transported without having to disassemble or draw oversize permits or get an RGN to transport it. Most but the smallest dozers are more than a PU truck can tow safely (and they're in the same class a skid loader for work efficiency).

Excavator (wheeled or tracked hoe) won't be all that useful unless you plan on opening a gravel pit or digging sewers and basements.

Payloaders are great for moving large quantities of material, but they're not versatile and but once again you run into the problem of they're big and expensive. The ones that are cheap, are cheap for a reason.

Out of the list, if I had to choose one machine to have, it would be a skid loader, simply for it's versatility.

Wow guys some dam good info, im leaning towards the skid steer more and more, just worried that I wont be able to build 30ft tall landings, for example, check out reeds motocroos track, kinda what I want, and ryan villipotos supercross track, im sure the skid steer would do fine making a sx track, but the mx track has bigger features, I don't know, will see

Go with a dozer, My friend builds all his tracks with one. He can build anything and everything with it. Here is a track he built with just a dozer in 3 days.

you need a dozer to push dirt and clear land

a bobcat/sklidsteer to do finesse work

and a tractor with a disc / tiller to groom.

If you can only buy one, you can do most everything except groom with a bobcat.

The cheapest dirt would be to dig a pond in the middle of the track to supply the dirt for the jumps. If you want to build 30 ft high stuff i think we are talking dozer. I would rent. You should be able to rent somthing and have it delivered for less then 2000 / week. Get the mass dirt moved and roughed in, then you rent a smaller skid steer to fine grade and scuplt. If you have that much land a tracktor with a bucket is good to have. I good dozer is big money, and renting is dirt cheap now since the construction industry is slow and the stuff is just collecting dust at the rental yard.

Oh and find a freind who can opperate. Or higher somone for a day or two. They will move 10 times the stuff a fist timer can and do a better job. Plus that way you wont have to rent as long because you will get more done faster.

• Like 1

if your are going to buy one piece of equipment small tractor with front end loader,4 wheel drive you can buy a blade and box blade and take care of facing and pulling dirt where you need it. to build your track rent what you need.

idk how much space and what the landscape you have to work with is but ive always thought when i have land the one tool i will get will be a backhoe. purely because i can dig a huge hole to get the dirt from/build a pond and even though it wont move the most dirt it will still have a capable bucket on the front that with the right amount of time you could build any track you wanted

To build a track on my 1/2-40, I'd need alot of TNT, a truckload of chainsaw premix, bar oil and lots of beer. I do have a CAT D4 to start. lol

:thumbsup:

Doublepost

Edited by JJMILLER1
went from no-post to double-post in 10 seconds

Triplepost?

Edited by JJMILLER1
what's wrong with this site?

I have been building my track for 2 months now. Started out all by hand. Then we got a bobcat, now a 40hp Kabota with a 1yrd bucket and box-blade. It gets the job done MUCH faster than a dinky bobcat. They (bobcat) just don't have the reach or articulation. I would have loved to use a doser first to cut everything in!

Go with a dozer, My friend builds all his tracks with one. He can build anything and everything with it. Here is a track he built with just a dozer in 3 days.

Wow guy, that's one sick nasty track, that first kicker is pretty big, and those burms are perfect, lol and those are some serious whoops, major PROPS on that track, must be wicked, id love to walk out into my back yard to see that, mint

The cheapest dirt would be to dig a pond in the middle of the track to supply the dirt for the jumps. If you want to build 30 ft high stuff i think we are talking dozer. I would rent. You should be able to rent somthing and have it delivered for less then 2000 / week. Get the mass dirt moved and roughed in, then you rent a smaller skid steer to fine grade and scuplt. If you have that much land a tracktor with a bucket is good to have. I good dozer is big money, and renting is dirt cheap now since the construction industry is slow and the stuff is just collecting dust at the rental yard.

:thumbsup:

Thanks alot sam, I think you've got the best advice, id be better off renting my equipment then buying, 2000 aweek is expensive, but not even close to buying a dozer, I am definitely considering a kubota, I think that would help me do the finish work,