Sign in to follow this  

Header wrap on a 2 stroke pipe?

Hi,

has anyone used header/ exhaust wrap on a 2 stroke pipe? Would I have to change something on the jetting because of the possible higher exhaust gas temperature?

My pipe is pretty beat up and loud, so I thought I'll give this a try.

Thanks

its not goiong to make it any less loud...

if you have cracks in it. then replace it or weld it up(itll crack again if welded. i have an old R&D pipe that i have welded alot of times, and it cracks in a new place after a wile, whitch sucks as its a one off pipe)as your motor is probebly running lean.

as for higher EGT's. no, you would not have to change jetting.

if you on the island, and in or around nanaimo/willing to travil to nanaimo. i can get you a wicked deal on FMF pipes.

Thanks, no the pipe is not cracked just quite ugly it's one of the early FMF Gold Series (91 KX250) and the plating is rusted to the point where a steel wool pad doesn't do anything anymore.

I've read on other forums that it does bring the noise down, it's that fiberglass stuff like this:http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Header-Wrap-BLACK-Fiberglass-50Ft-Free-Metal-Zip-Ties-/200666596598?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb8a944f6#ht_1243wt_1064

I'm in northern BC but every now and then come down to the island. What kind of deals can you get on pipes?

pipe wrap will most likely rust it faster...and won't make much of a dent in sound(might eliminate some vibration)...however, much of the noise from your bike(2t) comes from the intake side. If ya put a perfect muffler on the exhaust, the bike will still be loud.

Not true, it will DEFINITELY quiet down the bike! I ran a DBsnorkle and all you could really hear was the popping in the expansion chamber. Header wrap (just some cheap "carbon fiber look" from ebay) made a noticeable difference. Just install it properly and have the overlap seams face toward the back of the bike as much as possible to prevent stuff from working its way inside the seams.

DB Snorkle = Pipe Wrap?? :thumbsup:

I've experienced the snorkle, and it helps alot, but as the rider, I could still hear my motor rather clearly.

Pull your airbox off sometime while the bike is running...what do ya hear? See?

The pipe makes that signature pinging noise, so in theory wrapping the pipe with a material like header wrap should quiet it down a few DB, maybe even enough to not notice the ping too much.

I wrapped my pipe back in the day. Actually a major difference in noise. Took away the two stroke "ping". Made other noises more annoying like the trans noise and chain slap. I am guessing that most people who say it doesnt do anything have never tried it, I have and it works well, looks bad quick though, hard to clean and steams like crazy when you go through water.

I wrapped my pipe back in the day. Actually a major difference in noise. Took away the two stroke "ping". Made other noises more annoying like the trans noise and chain slap. I am guessing that most people who say it doesnt do anything have never tried it, I have and it works well, looks bad quick though, hard to clean and steams like crazy when you go through water.

Exactly, I don't know why people that haven't actually tried it, say it wont/doesn't work. :thumbsup:

U think it looks ugly without the wrap.. wait till its wrapped..

I would just buy a new one they arent much money? U can probably find used ones on ebay. I did a quick search (for U.S. ebay) and theres used one in clean shape for $70 or brand new fmf for $200.00

Screw that crap. Sandblast it and black BBQ paint.

Thats a good idea! cheaper than replacing and much better looking that that shitty wrap.

In hot rods, the header wrap keeps exhaust temps higher in the header primary tube which helps scavenging downstream at the header collector or whatever and also keeps under the hood temps a bit lower. It turns "YOUR HEADERS INTO DUST" though.

I would think though that wrap might impact the exhaust gas temps on your 2-stroke thereby changing the expansion chamber tuning . Whether this gives you a desireable effect or a negative.... ?

Come to think of it, one ride my pipe sounded kinda funny while I was washing out a hard right turn on a really hot day, looked down and discovered it was the sweat on my right calf boiling on the expansion chamber as it tattooed me with a nasty burn that I was hearing. Anything on a 2T pipe will make it sound different, evidently. lol

Oh! I have it on helmet cam even. lol

I don't ride in shorts anymore BTW no matter how casual the event is.

Thanks for all the replies, I haven't considered sandblasting yet but have a blaster hanging around. I have already ordered some of that wrap, I'll give it a try anyways, if it gets too ugly, I can still blast and paint it or just get a new pipe. I'd get a stock pipe but haven't seen one for sale.

Black BBQ paint rules! My pipe was all rusty from where the stock paint scratched off. I just did a quicke sand job and sprayed it and it looks 100 times better than it did.