Sign in to follow this  

bike backfire/popping

So I decided to clean the exhaust pipe and removed the entire exhaust. While uninstalling the flange I noticed that the exhaust gasket (copper ring) was all smashed up, I ignored it and reinstalled the exhaust. When I started my bike I noticed a strange noise coming from the head so I put my hand next to the exhaust port and felt air escaping through. I test drove it and and while decelerating my bike started to "backfire" and make loud popping noises. Could it be the destroyed gasket? its not a jetting problem because my bike was totally fine before I removed my exhaust..

My bike keeps on backfiring but I can't seal it because it has only one blot holding it On because the other one snapped off how can I get the snapped bolt out an replace it with a new one

Try cutting a slot in the bolt with a dremel and use a flat head screwdriver or impact gun to take it out. Worked for me. Just go slow with the Dremel.

It's not working so can u send me some pictures of u doing it and did u remove ur engine before u did it

If you are trying to remove the stud that the exhaust bolts on with try these. If it is corroded or rusted some heat might be needed. Both tools are fairly inexpensive and you might use them elsewhere. More How To videos here http://teammgr.weebly.com/

Stud extractor

31FA7EJBCCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or an easy out

useScrewextract.jpg

Edited by thejunkman

Mine did all that,I put a new crush gasket on and it ran smooth.My buddy knocked the shit out of my exhaust loading my bike so its backfiring again,but not like before.I have a new gasket I'm gonna put on after I go out this weekend.

I asked the shop dude and he said thats just how pit bikes are.But w/ a fresh gasket I get no backfire,its smooth all the way down from full throttle.

I cant drill through the bolt so can u help me

Take the head to a machine shop to have it repaired, or buy another head to replace it.

Edited by dirtbkr188

Well then the other option is the drill out the bolt/stud and tap to the next bigger size and use a "Time sert" IF there is enough material left to do so.

Here is a good tutorial on using a Time sert. They are kinda pricey though.

http://www.timesert.com/

http://www.olympiafj60.net/timesert-drainfill-plug-repair.html

edit well I guess TT is having a hard time showing this link for some reason.

Edited by thejunkman

That is done with the jets in the carburetor. Now if you have smoke on startup is it a blueish color? If so that is oil burn off which can be caused by a couple of things. Most often the oil level is too high or the bike was stored with the front end tilted down and some oil slipped passed the rings, other cause is worn valve guides allowing oil to drain into the cylinder when it sits.

Black smoke is a rich condition, which is normal when using the choke or enrichment circuit for startup of a cold engine.

Also my carburettor came loose. The bolts came out that holds it onto the piston head so could some dust have got sucked into the carb and if its possible what could I do to fix it and my my is 2006 125cc foxico thumpstar

Also my carburettor came loose. The bolts came out that holds it onto the piston head so could some dust have got sucked into the carb and if its possible what could I do to fix it and my my is 2006 125cc foxico thumpstar

Yes some dirt could have entered the engine and scored the piston or cylinder. Keep the carb bolts tight checking them periodically OR use a light strength green loctite thread locker. DO NOT use blue or red or anything designed for 1/4 and larger fasteners as you want to be able to get these apart in the future. Sounds a bit like your new to motorcycles and pit bikes so you really need to pay close atention to all the parts and adjustments on the bike. "like" my facebook page for updates on tips and tricks or to ask me questions.

http://www.facebook.com/thejunkmansadventures

Yea I'm not the best with bikes but I do know wat some things are. Would I need to get a new piston if it is got dirt in it and I'm looking at getting a big bite kit to a 160cc and how would u install a big bore kit