Sign in to follow this  

Footpeg springs interchangeable?

G'day, my old xr 350's footpeg has broken its spring on the left hand side of the bike and sticks up when i'm I've been through deep mud.

Just wondering if I can use another spring off a different bike (I haven't got another bike around for comparison). Honda said no longer available. I thought they would be all pretty similar???

Just wondering if I can use another spring off a different bike (I haven't got another bike around for comparison). I thought they would be all pretty similar???

Sure you can. I've done it myself. You just have to find a bike that uses the same/similar type footpeg mount/peg interaction.

Go into a bike shop and look at the pegs/mounts of different bikes to find something similar.

A newer XRs might be the same thing. If nothing else, post a picture of the 350's setup and the other XR riders around here can tell you.

G'day, my old xr 350's footpeg has broken its spring on the left hand side of the bike and sticks up when i'm I've been through deep mud.

Just wondering if I can use another spring off a different bike (I haven't got another bike around for comparison). Honda said no longer available. I thought they would be all pretty similar???

Pretty similar in most cases. I've actually made them from old springs that went to who knows what.

These look like they could be made to work on just about any bike:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/dirtbike-footpeg-spring-motorcross-atv-98-10-KTM-65-990-09-10-YZ85-09-10-YZ125-4-/260875354919?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbd620327

$(KGrHqYOKpUE5YE)fBp5BOcGy4Ny6Q~~60_35.JPG

In the mid 80s Honda changed the springs on some bikes from under the peg to over the peg, mixing these springs is not easy. Some Honda springs fit into a hole on the pep, but the type in the pictures can be used. A vise and Visegrips can be used to reshape the ends on a spring to suit a different application. Just more info to help your search.

I ended up unrolling the spring one loop and twitched it up on the peg till the new hong kong beaut arrives. Works a treat at the moment, going riding tomorrow, here's hoping for a ripper day