Sign in to follow this  

First time at a track...

The local Yamaha shops around me had a customer appreciation day this past sunday at Rocket Raceway in Three Springs, PA.

I've been riding street for well over a decade, but just got into the dirt scene since buying my 6yo his first 50cc bike. Can't believe I waited so long to discover how much fun off-road riding is!

I expected I would try the track once, and stick to the hare scramble loop the rest of the day, but I ended up going the opposite way... lol.

I was pretty intimidated by the size of the jumps (they looked smaller on youtube... lol), but despite being painfully slow and trying to stay out of the way of the faster riders, I had an amazing time! I started getting braver on the table tops by the end of the day and was learning the basics of getting a little (and I mean a little) bit of air.

My kiddo had a rough time on the pee-wee track and was intimidated by the older kids buzzing around and passing him. I don't think he ever finished a single lap, but that night he still said it was the "best day of my life". He had just as much fun tooling around the parking area on his bike as he did on the track. For him, seat time is awesome no matter what the circumstances... :ride:

Anyways, I know we're hooked. Everyone was great, I didn't run into any big egos or bad attitudes, and whenever my son would wipe out, anyone who was close by came over to help. :thumbsup:

So if any of you were there, thanks for being cool to the new guys, and I hope I didn't slow you up too much on the track... lol

Can't wait to go again!

Edited by Stitch-GG

Ha! Sounds like my experience when I got into motocross riding. One of the first track experiences was at Rocket back in '03 :thumbsup: Later, when my son was able to ride, took him up on his PW50. Good luck!

+1 I raced my first race on sunday and the guys parked next to me noticed my rear tire was pretty worn and gave me one of his "old tires" which only had a couple races on it and offered to put it on for me. I played hockey for years and never came close to an experience like that, moto-x has some great people for sure. :thumbsup:

The great thing about motocross is that 99.99% of the people there, are willing to do what it takes to get a fellow rider out on the track. Whether it's been helping someone push a bike up a rain-soaked ramp into their truck, or a complete stranger riding up and asking if I'm o.k., it makes you want to "keep it going"...

the other .01%? they're that lady that sits by the truck reading a book. they don't care one way or the other:busted:

Welcome to your newest addiction....Adrenaline Addiction. Ive suffered from this addiction for 30 years now!

Dirt bikes suck, once you get addicted, there is absolutely no turning back! :ride:

I think of all the things I could have done this week but didn't do because I happened to find myself at the track instead! :thumbsup:

It only takes one time and your hooked. I grew up racing and have great memories of my time spent at the track with my dad and now I hope to do the same with my son. Glad to hear you guys had such a good time!:thumbsup:

I'm already scraping up the money to get the whole family memberships in our local club. They have a private track and we'd be able to ride anytime we want... lol

I grew up racing and have great memories of my time spent at the track with my dad and now I hope to do the same with my son.

This is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most! Making memories and spending time with my kiddo.