Sign in to follow this  

Carb over flow vent hose, routing ?

Went for a ride last Sat, ended up in some large, deep mud puddles. Buddy got stuck half way through a 30 or 40 footer, water above the cases, but below the carb. It occurred to me that if the water was above the carb while stopped, water would have gone up the gas overflow hose into the float bowl. How to fix this, routing or maybe a one way valve?

I replied to your other thread you just started on this issue in the intake and jetting forum. Either that, or I'm seeing double! :thumbsup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021249&highlight=

Yea, I posted in both forums. I have my vent lines on my fcr routed, 2 up under the tank, other 2 lines going down in front of the swing arm. But the bowl over flow is also going down in front of the swing arm. If you get stuck(in deep water) this will allow water to get into the carb bowl.

I don't think it can go up the overflow, it kind of is a one way in that fuel is taken from the bottom, runs in when the float drops, fuel can flow in because it displaces air that is forced out that tube. If water tried to go up the tube it should act like you putting your finger over a straw and the straw in water, the fuel in the bowl blocks any opening for air to escape so no water can get in. I used to run GHCC on a LT250 in washington and we would be seat deep in water sometimes and water in the carb was never an issue

When I got home I looked at it to clean it, you could blow air through it no problem, I don't think mine acts as a one way valve. I don't think its a problem while moving, but if you get stuck and the water is higher than the over flow tube in the bowl, I think water is going into the bowl. I guess the answer is, don't get stuck in high water.