Sign in to follow this  

running bike in shop with no air filter

i just cleaned the air filter and am waiting for it to dry. now i'd like to run and warm the bike up so i can change the oil. bike wont be moving, just sitting in open garage, idling. any worries of running with the airbox open in a semi closed(good circulation) envioronment?

I would never run my bikes at any time or place without a filter. I have been known to do it on a cheap lawn mower or weed wacker to get it running again after flooding them, but never an expensive motorcycle. That vibration could knock things/debris loose and end up in your engine. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

worries, sure. risk minimal if its a closed environment free of dust and leaves and other crap. better option is to just dry your filter, wrap it in some paper towels and apply pressure or blow dry with some compressed air.

I'd examine everything in and around the airbox to be sure first and then do it. Unless you start rapping on the throttle like nut.....

This is silly to be afraid of running it in a clean environment. Just did it yesterday. While the filter was drying i fired up the bike and let it run for a couple minutes on the stand, thins up the oil and drains right out nicely. Theres no need to worry.

If the place isnt dusty then you have nothing at all to worry about. Make sure the airbox is clean though so no big chunks can fall in.. Thats the only real possibilty of getting dirt in there.

Guys with snowmobiles run no air filters all the time, because the winter air is cold and clean. Its not gonna hurt it at all to run it if theres no dust. Hell you could rip it up and down the street with out the filter if theres no dust theres no worry.

A cold stagnant oil change is no substitute for a warm oil change with contaminants in suspension where they drain out well. If you're at the track with no filter, cold oil change makes sense, in a clean clear area, no problem.

We used to run engines without filters all over all the time. We also used to change engines a lot because the engines blew due to ingesting stuff. So just ask yourself--

Do You Feel Lucky????

We used to run engines without filters all over all the time. We also used to change engines a lot because the engines blew due to ingesting stuff. So just ask yourself--

Do You Feel Lucky????

That's asking for trouble

my bike will run lean w/o a filter. seat off, or even #plates off.

That can happen too.

had it run away once, only able to shut it down w/choke . I always assemble the whole bike now before I run it. But thats just my experiance

my bike will run lean w/o a filter. seat off, or even #plates off.

I always throw the seat back on if im running it with the filter off. For this exact reason.

Are these CV carbs? My wifes Polaris atv is incredibly sensitive to the airbox lid, the seat, the plugs in the airbox etc. I understand the system but my Keihin on my CR isn't so picky about that.

no Keihlin also not sure why its so sensitive butit is. The underside of my seat is dirty so I def would not run w/o filter

i just cleaned the air filter and am waiting for it to dry. now i'd like to run and warm the bike up so i can change the oil. bike wont be moving, just sitting in open garage, idling. any worries of running with the airbox open in a semi closed(good circulation) envioronment?

Not at all.

JayC