Sign in to follow this  

No rev limiter on 2005 PW80

It just has a very rich main jet so the engine 4-strokes at WFO. Close the petcock at full throttle and it will lean out and scream! Huge urban myth/legend is false, there is no rev limiter. Ther reason it's rich is so your kid won't seize it if he holds it wide open for extended periods; thank you Yamaha engineers!

As far as hop ups go, nothing beats the stock pipe for that lovely low end torque. The aftermarket pipes will kill the low end and you will lose the ability to do those fun wheelies by snapping open the throttle while crawling along in 1st gear. I tried all the mods and the only one that is significant is to remove the exhast washer, and go to a 120 main jet. The rest have no noticable effect and some actually make it worse, like screwing with the airbox: it messes with the carburation and mixture detrimentally. I have not tried pulling the head gasket and lapping the barrel to the head, or buying a spare head and milling it .015", mainly because it runs just fine with the two simple mods noted above.

BTW, if your kid is just starting out, do not do these mods until they have several tanks of gas under their belts.

My two twin boys have been riding a Honda XR-70 and now they fight over the PW80 because in their own words "it's smoother Dad!" And they are right, the single 4-stroke is kind of herky-jerky when rolling the throttle on and off. Did anyone notice Yamaha re-introduced the PW-50 for 2012? Kids like them better than the current heavy electric start(that's overkill) 50cc 4-stroke models.

My daughter is 11, 5'2" on a KLX125L most of the time and still enjoys gooning around on the PW. Which is good, I do too.

IMHO, the Honda engine is great for longevity, the fact that it's been taken as a staple by the pit-bike people opened the aftermarket to so much that you can do almost anything you'd like to it, but the transmission is awful. I don't know how one can fix it but you really need to time the shifts carefully with the factory auto-clutch. The PW, you can scream it along, jam it up a gear and it doesn't seem to mind. Never tried it down shifting since the clutch has some drag to it and this might over-rev the motor.

Do that on a XR/CRF 3spd auto clutch and the front end will come up on you faster than anything else I've ever ridden.