Sign in to follow this  

California Buying a bike out of state w/ MSO only

Anyone ever buy a bike from out of state? I'm looking to buy a bike from MS with just and MSO as it looks like that's all they need to ride over there. I've checked the VIN# and it's 8th digit is "c" so it looks like I can get a red sticker for it. I've been told I may have some issues with some emissions sticker? Is this true?

Anyone have experience with this? Do you think I'll run into any issues? Will I get any crazy fees added on?

Any info is much appreciated. Not looking to plate the bike, just need a red sticker.

Thanks!

You will have to pay CA taxes and surrender the MSO, you will also need to take the bike with you to DMV for an inspection as well. I bought a Rhino from TN and brought it back with just an MSO. Also bought a quad from MA with MA title. The MSO was easier.

I bought mine from Kansas. It came with an MSO and a bill of sale/receipt. No problem getting it registered.

I don't know if it makes any difference but mine was new. Used may be different.

CHP will also do the VIN check for you then all you have to do is spend 3 hours at DMV (with appointment) and not 6. Do as little as you can at DMV most of the employees are idiots.

Only out of state with a Texas title (pink slip). Registering the KTM 200SX as a red sticker was easy, though they looked at 3 manuals to complete the paper work.

It seems like every deal is different. Every DMV office is different.

My last beef was with the CHP. They were back logged for over a month to run the VIN, which takes them about 10 minutes. Took about six weeks to run the VIN.

Only out of state with a Texas title (pink slip). Registering the KTM 200SX as a red sticker was easy, though they looked at 3 manuals to complete the paper work.

It seems like every deal is different. Every DMV office is different.

My last beef was with the CHP. They were back logged for over a month to run the VIN, which takes them about 10 minutes. Took about six weeks to run the VIN.

Dam Kev,

I have done three passes with the CHP and only spent one phone call and a next day visit. The worst was my MSO had the wrong engine number for the frame and I had to wait an extra three days for the dealer/seller to sort it out with the manufacture. It still only took four days total on that one. How many CHP offices do you have around you?