Sign in to follow this  

TTR reccomendations - Seat height??

I have a 12 year old daughter that is riding a TTR-90. She really is to tall for this bike. I have had her ride the wifes ttr-125 but she is real uncomfortable with that bike, thinks it is to big and heavy. Just a little to tall for her to feel comfortable.

Any suggestions. Yamaha doesn't seam to make a bike in between. Seems like a Honda CRF-80 or 100 would be in between these two but I think she would grow out of these in a year as well.

If I found her a TTR-125 is there any way to shorten the seat height?

Thanks

• Like 1

Get her a TTR-125. She'll be uncomfortable for about and hour, then she'll be glad she has one. Not sure how much room there is for it, but you can easily trim down the seat to knock off an inch or two. If you're wife has the 125L version, it's a little taller. The standard TTR-125 has a shorter seat hieght. Go to the local Yammy dealer, and you'll see the difference.

Most young kids, and almost all girls, think that when they graduate to the next biggest size bike, it's too big and heavy. It's more psychological than actual.

The bigger wheels and increased utility and terrain conquering ability more than offset the larger size.

Yamaha's 'tween bike is the YZ80/85. Doesn't make any sense but that's what they offer. Other manufacturers don't have as big a jump, Kawi and Suzuki have a 110 auto clutch and both have 65 smokers with a clutch. There's also the DS and if you can find one, a KDX80.

Go with a small-wheel 125 4T. Personally, I prefer the DR-Z over the TT-R, but you will find the TT-R is going to be cheaper to buy and has a larger aftermarket following.

No matter what you get, drop the forks a bit and lower the sag for the first test ride, it'll make the bike seem more peewee sized and less youth sized. Then all you gotta deal with is learning the clutch for the first lesson. You can always cut out seat material later, but doing the free mods should always be the first course of action.

Heres what you do.... if you think that she can handle it, and that she wont have problems stopping... then you just tell her that its not a big bike, and lower the sag a bit. And yes, she'll be fine after the first hour. Your biggest problem is getting that hour to happen.

Thanks guys. Sounds like the 125 will be the answer if I just stay with the smaller version and drop the forks and sag a little.

I do like the TTR over a Honda just becasue of the electric start.

Thanks for the advice!!