Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Please Help 99 xr250 will not start

I am looking at buying a 1999 xr250r. The guy said that he had got it from his friend and his friend let it sit for a few months and went to start it and couldnt get it started. Said he was spraying starting fluid in it to make it start and it still wouldnt. He said he then got it and cleaned the carb and tank and still no luck. He said he thinks the head gasket is blown or it needs rings and piston cause he said there not a whole lot of compression. He said he tried to pull start it but it would only spit and sputter like it was trying to fire. He put a compression guage on it but didnt have the right fitting and just made a home made fitting to get it to fit. Said he knew that it wasnt seated well and he was loosing compression from the fitting but it only showed 30psi. Now i have been reading on how there can be multiple things wrong like the compression release stuck and valve lash and stuff like that.

The engine was cold and not sure how he checked the compression and then the fitting was leaking anyways so it probably wasnt a good reading at all. Do you think that the starting fluid could have messed up the rings and pistons and all. It was supposed to run fine before he was trying to start it with the starting fluid. Could it be as simple as pouring oil in the cylinder and working it and pumping up the rings and getting them back free? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im going to buy this when i get home. Thanks

Edited by kevfrnks
need help

It's likely just fine. I would bet that the pilot jet is still clogged up and he may not have gotten everything adjusted on the carb correctly.

If the valves are tight and it has a few miles on it then the commpresion will show low.

Adjust the valves and be sure the automatic compression release clicks off when you rotate the motor. Lots of guys try to adjust the valves while the compression release is engaged. I rotate the motor counterclockwise just past TDC and then turn it back clockwise. Listen for the click of the CR disengaging.

It's likely just fine. I would bet that the pilot jet is still clogged up and he may not have gotten everything adjusted on the carb correctly.

If the valves are tight and it has a few miles on it then the commpresion will show low.

Adjust the valves and be sure the automatic compression release clicks off when you rotate the motor. Lots of guys try to adjust the valves while the compression release is engaged. I rotate the motor counterclockwise just past TDC and then turn it back clockwise. Listen for the click of the CR disengaging.

Thanks for the help. Ive been reading alot on the compression issues and about the valve adjustment but im not sure i understand just yet how to check and adjust them just yet. I guess when i get to see it in person and put my hands on it it will probably make more sense. I will be picking it up on the 9th or 10th of next month when i get home from offshore.

Buy the bike , clean the carb/tank . New gas , new spark plug and go riding.

Some guys try to hard to start a bike and flood it and get the plug wet.

Compared to a two stroke , these bikes run lean and flood easy. A lot of guys fall off and can't restart. I always carry an extra plug.

The post '96 250s have soft intake valves that wear into the seats and cause the rocker clearance to diminish and eventually the intakes are held open and there is little or no compression resulting in starting difficulties. Adjust the valves and I'll bet the problem is solved.

Thanks for the help i have been reading up alot about the valves and the adjustment and you can bet thats the first thing along with the compression release im gonna check. And maybe with some luck ill be riding soon. Thanks for all the help and as soon as i get it ill upload a pic and status.

Good luck Kev . The brain core here can help you with anything on these bikes , go get that SOB . Don't forget to get a manual .