Sign in to follow this  

2008 CRF150F Been sitting 6 months

Hi, How would you go about starting for the first time a CRF 150f that has sat for 6 months. My friend suggested dumping fuel out of tank and carb bowl and adding new premium fuel with Seafoam added. Will this work? Will the carb have to be gone through? Any help is appreciated!

If fuel sat in the carb and the tank, then flush out and clean both. Fuel goes bad in 30 days in a plastic tank. If the bike was stored in a hot garage, then it has varnished in the carb bowl. In the end, you are time ahead if you take the carb apart and clean it.

Holy crap if you guys lived in michigan all you would do is tear carbs apart. Put some fresh gas in the tank (unless it's already full) and try to start it. 6 months is not a big deal and gas DOES NOT go bad in 30 days. If you believe it does please send me all your 30 day old gas. Jeff

Holy crap if you guys lived in michigan all you would do is tear carbs apart. Put some fresh gas in the tank (unless it's already full) and try to start it. 6 months is not a big deal and gas DOES NOT go bad in 30 days. If you believe it does please send me all your 30 day old gas. Jeff

:thumbsup:

Unleaded fuel, in a plactic tank, will out-gas thru the plastic in 30-60 days. If the bike is stored in a hot garage, then its closer to the 30 day figure. That's why graphics will not stick directly to a plactic tank. Also, fuel companies change blends from summer to winter blend mix, so the evaporative values of the fuel changes also. Google it.

Unleaded fuel, in a plactic tank, will out-gas thru the plastic in 30-60 days. If the bike is stored in a hot garage, then its closer to the 30 day figure. That's why graphics will not stick directly to a plactic tank. Also, fuel companies change blends from summer to winter blend mix, so the evaporative values of the fuel changes also. Google it.

There is a Huge difference between seeping fumes through the plastic and going bad. Sure I'll Google it and you Google ET, Elvis is alive and Bush ordered 911. According to plenty on Google they are all real too. See we have a little thing called winter here and while I do ride on the ice most of my bikes sit for close to 6 months. When spring comes I roll em out and fire em up. Is the gas as good as it was in early Nov. Of course not. Is it bad gas? No. If newbernbears 150 really only sat 6 months it is fine. Jeff

Gas is s*it these days, anything older then like 2 months without stabilizer, is allready gone or going bad.

will your bike/lawn equipment/engines run on old shitty gas, yeah, but its NO BUENO.

Dump that sh*t out and refill with fresh, its like $6 bucks, lol.

Pump fuel that has ethanol in it doesn't last nearly as long as 100% gasoline. Some of you guys in parts of the country that have a choice take it for granted. Ethanol is like hamburger helper for gas.

Gas is s*it these days, anything older then like 2 months without stabilizer, is allready gone or going bad.

will your bike/lawn equipment/engines run on old shitty gas, yeah, but its NO BUENO.

Dump that sh*t out and refill with fresh, its like $6 bucks, lol.

If the only advice was to just drain the tank and put in fresh as you said I would not have even replied. But to recommend to pull a carb. apart on a bike that only sat 6 months is nuts. If you think gas is sh*t these days you should have seen what we had in the early 80s. But I will still request that you guys send me all your 30 day old gas. Jeff

If the only advice was to just drain the tank and put in fresh as you said I would not have even replied. But to recommend to pull a carb. apart on a bike that only sat 6 months is nuts. If you think gas is sh*t these days you should have seen what we had in the early 80s. But I will still request that you guys send me all your 30 day old gas. Jeff

Around here, all the stations have ethanol in the gas, only way to get ethanol free gas is to buy race gas, at like 10 bucks a gallon.

i will gladly send you all my old gas, all i ask is that you cover shipping. :thumbsup:

:ride:

Wow. Thanks guys, some great advice there. I am going to dump fuel out of tank. Remove just the nut in the carb bowl and drain the carb, put in a fresh spark plug, or have one handy. I am going to add 2 ounces of Seafoam to 1 gallon of premium non-ethanol fuel and see what happens. The bike in 2 years it was owned was ridden maybe 10-15 hours. It was running this summer according to the owner, but not running perfectly. Thanks Jeff for multiple replies.

Yes oxygenated fuels suck and don't fight pollution one bit in fuel injected vehicals. The fuel injection just richens the mixture to compensate. But it makes the ECO nuts feel better. Still easy to get pure gas here in Michigan

Wow. Thanks guys, some great advice there. I am going to dump fuel out of tank. Remove just the nut in the carb bowl and drain the carb, put in a fresh spark plug, or have one handy. I am going to add 2 ounces of Seafoam to 1 gallon of premium non-ethanol fuel and see what happens. The bike in 2 years it was owned was ridden maybe 10-15 hours. It was running this summer according to the owner, but not running perfectly. Thanks Jeff for multiple replies.

Remove, inspect, and clean the pilot jet.

Well, turns out the owner bought the bike new, ran it a few hours, the next year, he sid he ran it a little(this past summer). Cleaned tank, fresh gas, non-ethanol, a little Seafoam. Took drain plug off bottom of carb and drained that. Bike would not start. Took carb off, floats not moving, needle and seat varnished, pilot looked ok, soaking parts tonight, should have bike running tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the help!

p.s.

I can get non-ethanol gas for $3.61/ gallon.

OK, turn petcock off. Remove fuel line from the carb, put a catch pan under the line, and turn the petcock on. Look for good flow. A plugged up vent line will prevent good flow when vacuum builds up in the tank. If you have good flow, then plug the line back in to the carb, and then remove the drain plug from the bowl and see if it flows. Lack of flow indicates a float valve that is stuck or plugged up. If that's flowing, then the next circuit is the pilot jet in the carb body. Some people say replace, but in a pinch, the pilot can be cleared with a small guitar string, or a single wire from a wire brush.

Fuel, air, and spark in time, that's what you need.

OK, turn petcock off. Remove fuel line from the carb, put a catch pan under the line, and turn the petcock on. Look for good flow. A plugged up vent line will prevent good flow when vacuum builds up in the tank. If you have good flow, then plug the line back in to the carb, and then remove the drain plug from the bowl and see if it flows. Lack of flow indicates a float valve that is stuck or plugged up. If that's flowing, then the next circuit is the pilot jet in the carb body. Some people say replace, but in a pinch, the pilot can be cleared with a small guitar string, or a single wire from a wire brush.

Fuel, air, and spark in time, that's what you need.

Thanks, Ron, all that was good.

The plastic piece in the carb bowl, I just laid it in the bottom. Other guys have slid it ovter the jet. DUH! that should help

This bike sat a lot longer than 6 months. But if it will start and idle off choke the pilot jet is passing fuel. If not the pilot is clogged. If it idles and cuts out when any throttle is added more than likely the main jet is clogged shut. If you can nurse it up and get it to rev but it runs bad anywhere above idle your needle jet is clogged up. Clean everything and then clean it again. Then when your sure everything is clear, clean it one more time. Jeff